The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Spanish. Mauser I was told and was wondering if someone could tell me the model of this one, and where I could get parts for it. Its not in the bests shape. Thanks CS

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Best I can tell it's a 1916 Spanish Mauser . Be sure to slug the bore cause many have been messed with and calibers changed to 308 or something . They were big project guns cause were cheap .Smarter guys are around can give you better info .

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
If it's a "Spanish Mauser" most likely it started off as an M93 Mauser. The Spanish manufactured 100s of thousands of these rifles. They started off as 7X57mm Mauser caliber. Many were converted to the "M1916" configuration to fire the CTME cartridge - physically identical to the .308 Winchester or 7.62X51 NATO - BUT NOT THE SAME CARTRIDGE!!!!

If you are very lucky your rifle will still be the 7X57mm Mauser. This was a fantastic caliber, suitable for deer and elk sized game. Bear in mind that your bolt only has 2 locking lugs and was meant to handle about 45,000 PSI pressure. If it is still 7mm caliber, the 139 grain bullets are pretty effective and good loads can be worked up for it for deer sized game.

I don't know what parts you might need. Numrich is a good place to start looking.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I got a 1893 Spanish Mauser still all original and in 7x57 mm to go with my Krag for the Spanish American War era . And I do enjoy shooting the 7x57 . Like Jim said it's got plenty of power for hunting but doesn't beat you up either . Keep us posted on your progress of restoring it .

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
That one has been scrubbed and re-serial numbered in the re-arsenal period of 1931 to 1936. The 7.62 CETME conversions didn't start until the 1950's, and had markings showing that, or were made into FR-7's. If that isn't 7x57 anymore, it was done at the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooner nailed it, what parts are you looking for?
This is my first one of these, so just now doing research on them.Looking for a stock, I don't think that's the right one.? Ive seen the m1916 and they don't look like this one the barrel seems longer on the m1916. No telling what's been changed on this one. I think the front sights are wrong also. Need all the input I can get.

That one has been scrubbed and re-serial numbered in the re-arsenal period of 1931 to 1936. The 7.62 CETME conversions didn't start until the 1950's, and had markings showing that, or were made into FR-7's. If that isn't 7x57 anymore, it was done at the factory.
What do you mean by scrubbed?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
"Scrubbed" is when the factory receiver markings have been removed. During Spain's Civil war, both sides had the same rifles, but if I recall, only the Republican rifles were marked? Poland sold Mauser 98's to Spain that were scrubbed for political reasons too.
Your rifle was originally a Carbine or Short rifle that someone has "sporterized". The barrel has been shortened and an aftermarket front sight installed. For the cost of restoring it to it's former military glory, you could buy 2-3 already done.
Your best bet is to continue what someone else started, and make it into something you enjoy shooting.
This is what it looked like from the factory, note in the close up pics all the markings.
BTW....A Mauser Model 1893 was my first rifle too, $7 for a cutdown rifle like yours, and a box of shells. Almost 50yrs ago, and I still have it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Scrubbed" is when the factory receiver markings have been removed. During Spain's Civil war, both sides had the same rifles, but if I recall, only the Republican rifles were marked? Poland sold Mauser 98's to Spain that were scrubbed for political reasons too.
Your rifle was originally a Carbine or Short rifle that someone has "sporterized". The barrel has been shortened and an aftermarket front sight installed. For the cost of restoring it to it's former military glory, you could buy 2-3 already done.
Your best bet is to continue what someone else started, and make it into something you enjoy shooting.
This is what it looked like from the factory, note in the close up pics all the markings.
BTW....A Mauser Model 1893 was my first rifle too, $7 for a cutdown rifle like yours, and a box of shells. Almost 50yrs ago, and I still have it.
Man that's for the lesson that's very interesting! what would be a good price for one original ?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Didn't get hurt, most any Mauser action that can be built is bringing that much.
With the bolt closed, stick a cleaning rod down the bore, mark it at the muzzle, and measure it. Curious how much was chopped off the barrel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't get hurt, most any Mauser action that can be built is bringing that much.
With the bolt closed, stick a cleaning rod down the bore, mark it at the muzzle, and measure it. Curious how much was chopped off the barrel.
It measures 20 3/4. What you think?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Should have been 21", but where the original military front side was, the barrel had a step down for the sight base band to be soldered on. That was cut off.

·
Registered
17,897 Posts
Curious if it has an import barrel stamping or added caliber marking on TBE barrel. As has been said..many are now chambering 762x51..and that is about 61,000 psi vs 46,000 ish. And finding 7.62 creme is like finding unicorns with wings..

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Slug the bore . You do that by getting a pure lead fish sinker weight that is a little bigger then your muzzle . Remove the bolt '. Then with a rubber mallet knock it down into the barrel . Then when it's started take a wooden rod or a cleaning rod (just stay centered and be careful and don't get the rifling ) and hit it till it comes out the chamber . Then with clippers measure it . Can't remember off top of head what size is what caliber but can look it up or someone smarter then me may know . You might think also if your just wanting a original rifle and don't want the job of hunting and buying the stock and parts may buy one already original . For me part of the fun is taking one and putting it back to the original . It's each there own and sometimes it's cheaper doing one or the other .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts