The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
It may one of those things were a rumor starts or one thing happens and then next thing everyone is taking it as law . I don't know the info on pressures and all but remember a lot of talk on the subject . I never owned a 1916 or what were they called FN7 and FN8 built by Spain . They just never appealed to me , something about their looks was just off for some reason .

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Spain converted existing arms as a stop gap when joining NATO. There's three cartridges with the same dimensions, but loaded to vastly different chamber pressures. Spain had the 7.62 CETME (@40K psi), then the 7.62NATO (@54K psi), and the highest pressure round was the .308 Win. (@60-62K psi).
The Spanish Small Ring Mausers developed for the 7x57 Mauser had a "operating" pressure of about 40,000psi, so Spain improvised, and came up with the CETME round. The NATO round pressures were higher than the max for a 7mm. Small Ring 1916's were made into FR-7's, and the Large Ring 98's, were made into FR-8's.
Importers advertised the Small ring conversions as, ".308W's". Shoot enough .308W in one, and in the best case scenario, you caused locking lug setback. It started as a hard to open bolt, and progressed to not opening at all. When you did get it opened, the action was junk.
If you run across a deal on one, don't be afraid to buy it if the locking lugs aren't set back. Just restrict your shooting to reloads. Use .308W, or NATO brass, and load using .300 Savage load data.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks . I pretty much got the info on my 1893 Spanish after cleaning it up . Was one of those it had been sitting in a garage for years . Was greased up good but had about 1" of old dirt and cobwebs on it . Tried shooting factory 7mm Mauser ammo threw it but rifling wasn't the best and bought a mold to cast a larger bullet (can't remember diameter) and it helped quite a lot . Hope OneToughQuake has good rifling in his . Guessing it does for looking as nice as it does .

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
1893's don't have a stripper clip thumb slot on the left receiver rail, in front of the ejector box.
Good call, Trap. I'd forgotten about that. That is a quick way at a distance to tell the difference.

Sonner - I am not an expert on these. My first "high powered rifle' was an M-93 Carbine that I bought when I was 12 years old with lawn mowing money. I later took it to my High School in my Junior year and making a stock for it was my Wood Shop project for that year. I disassembled and reassembled it down to the tiniest of parts at least 100 times and got to know it pretty well. But I am not an expert.

I did manage to learn a bit on the 7.62 caliber converted Spanish '93s. They are sold as "7.62 NATO" or ".308 Winchester" - but that isn't true. They will chamber those cartridges, but were actually intended to fire a much less powerful round made for the Spanish CTME rifles. Many 7X57mm Mauser M93s and M95s had their barrels reamed out to .30 caliber and the chambers reamed to accept the CTME cartridge cases. That is a dangerous conversion if the higher presser 7.62mm NATO or .308 Winchester is used with them. The bolts and receivers were designed for a MAXIMUM of 45,000 pounds pressure (when they were NEW 100 years ago) - NOT 50,000 to 55,000 pounds as produced by the 7.62 and .308s.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
That rifle brings back memories. Dad bought me one when I was about 12 or 13. The stock had been trimmed though. I had a little trouble with the military sights deer hunting so Dad had a set of Williams sights put on it. I know that is frowned on today but this was around 1972. I was always a skinny kid but had no problems shooting it even with the hard buttplate. I later traded it for a stick welder like a dummy. One day I'd like to have another.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That rifle brings back memories. Dad bought me one when I was about 12 or 13. The stock had been trimmed though. I had a little trouble with the military sights deer hunting so Dad had a set of Williams sights put on it. I know that is frowned on today but this was around 1972. I was always a skinny kid but had no problems shooting it even with the hard buttplate. I later traded it for a stick welder like a dummy. One day I'd like to have another.
They should have just left the 7mm alone, as it is such a fine round, it would do most what a 308 would do

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks Jim I haven't had a chance to look up anything on that and it was bugging me !!. I new there was something about the calibers and high pressure . The 7mm is a great round and the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" says it all . The Spanish may of been trying to go along with rest of world when everyone was going with the 7.62 NATO round and thought was cheapest way to do it without having to by new rifles . The Mauser brothers are right there with John Browning and Sam Colt that's why I got several of their rifles , great guns and great history !! I better stop now I am getting to excited talking about that stuff and will go on and on !!
They should have just left the 7mm alone, as it is such a fine round, it would do most what a 308 would do

21 - 29 of 29 Posts