Spanish Mausers; Whats your take?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by JLA, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just want to see what you guys think... once i get a few opinions ill post pics that will make the naturalists/enthusiasts among us plum sick to thier stomachs:D;)

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver Active Member

I've got an "unmarked" 1916 Spanish Mauser in its original 7 X 57 Mauser caliber with all matching serial numbers. I bought it from Montgomery Wards in 1967 out of the catalog for under $20. I was surprised when I got it that it was in almost pristine condition and looked as though it had been fired very little. Fortunately I never got the urge to "Bubba" it so it's still in its original military format. It kicks like a mule with the steel buttplate but is very accurate. The Turkish walnut stock is beautiful. A few years ago I even found a bayonet for it and a period german leather sling. I was also able to locate some '70's era Belgian ammunition for it and have at least 500 rounds on 5-round. stripper clips available for use with it.

Considering the small amount that I have invested in it and despite the still low value of such curios, it is one of my favorite rifles. :cool:

3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I almost aquried one till I seen the German 98K in 8mm in the next booth. I like em and as soon as I find another in good shape I'll prolly pick it up.

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heres the run down on mine, I acquired it for free as a parts gun. It was an arsenal rebuild for the spanish policia, the original barrel was sleeved with a .308 sleeve and the chamber was recut for the spanish 7.62 cetme round (which is essentially a .308 downloaded to about 45000 psi) it was mostly complete (just missing the mag follower and spring, and the far end stock clamp). The last 6 inches of the bore was pitted out and the front sight was bent. This thing sat on my mantlepiece for 3 years until exactly 5 days ago. I was driving the Kenworth down I-35 on the way to a job, thinking about guns as always when i got the neatest idea. Lets suffice it to say I 'bubbafied' the crap out of it. It turned out better than expected, all i have left to do is fit the scout mount and scope i ordered and refinish whats left of the stock;), I shoot 7.62X51 nato rounds (50000 to 55000 psi) because im not sure the action would withstand the 65000 plus of the commercial .308 win. After i build up some fired brass i will be loading low pressure .308 data with light bullets... this thing is definitely different than anything I have ever seen or done to a rifle. I googled what i did and came up with no results, I will post pics as soon as i get the mount. Id say id post as soon as i refinish the entire gun but i know the suspense is killing you;) keep the comments coming:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

As soon as SAMCO fills their backorder I was thinking of getting one. Really interested in seeing yours.

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver Active Member

Be prepared to wait forever and have to make numerous phone calls to Samco to get them to ship anything you've ordered from them. They are without a doubt the slowest, most non-customer service oriented company I've ever had to deal with. :eek:

The upside is that once you DO get them to fill your order their stuff is really good. :rolleyes:

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just a couple more days guys, with the holiday coming up im expecting the mount early next week, the auction on ebay ends tomorrow evening and my mount should be mailed by sat. morning since im an instant payer. I fired it again today, i just cant get over how neat it is, i cant wait to take it to the range and clear the lanes next to me;)

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ok, Im sick of waiting on the mount. Below are pics as of now, I still have to fill the stock with fiberglass resin, shape the stock where i mounted the pistol grip, move the bi-pod forward and paint the stock army tank green, and of course attach the scope and mount if it ever comes in:mad:

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like to call it an M1916 single shot bolt-action pistol...:D

10. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

That is going to look great!

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Whhooo Weee that thing is wicked. I wanta shoot it!!!

12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

believe me its a cannon, I really cant wait for the mount so i can sight it in.

13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What's the barrel length on that exceedingly ugly thing?

14. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    That is a really interesting conversion. I bet it is LOUD!!! Keep posting pics!

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

barrel length is just under 13 inches. I cut the barrel right at the spot where it stepped down so i wouldnt have to reshape the radius. plus it was just about an inch back from where the rifling was bad (rusted out and severely pitted), still thinking of taking it over to a machinist friend of mine and having him mill the tip down so i can thread it to accept an AR-10 muzzle brake. Brownells has one that is a copy of the BRM brake I think would look fantastic on it. Im pouring the fiberglass today should have it ready for OD in about 2 or 3 days. I filled the magazine with lead and shaped out a feeding ramp for single shot use. It added appx 2 more pounds to the weight and feeds smooth as a babys butt. The fiberglass resin should add, if im lucky, 2 more pounds to the weight. I think i might mix some chilled lead shot with the first batch to fill the grip with. that should get my 2 pounds right there. As of now it weighs somewhere in the 6 to 7 pound range with the lead in the magazine. Im shooting for as close to 10 as possible just to help keep that thing on the bench;)