Spare mag holsters

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Arteest, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

I want to start carrying an extra mag or two. Now I find out that there is two ways to carry the mag: bullets pointing forward or pointing to the rear. So which way is better and which holsters to choose from?

carver and tedwitt like this.
  2. zant

zant Well-Known Member

When you're reloading,always have index finger against front of mag-to guide it in...so close your eyes,put mag in pouch,pocket,carrier,whatever-grab-insert 1/2way into firearm...open eyes,look which way your mag is facing.Some like bullets forward,others like bullets rearward.Do whichever makes you smoother and faster,there is no box-As long as it's 100%.

drymag, Arteest, Grizzley1 and 7 others like this.

3. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

Thanks Zant for the tip. I ended up getting a Glock carrier/pouch. They never really caught my attention before but I'm glad I got it. (works perfect with my G19) I'm right handed so it is on my left side. The bullets point to my rear and it makes the draw and insertion very natural for me. Can't carry it without a t-shirt on, the pouch has edges that are a little sharp and my "love handles" get irritated. It stays very close for great hiding tho.

drymag likes this.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Fobus paddle holster that I really like so when I wanted a pouch I checked with them for one with a paddle. I like it a lot better than the old ones I have with a Velcro flap and have to have the belt threaded through it.

https://fobusholster.com/Products-and-Accessories/Magazine/

drymag and Arteest like this.
  5. AZ2VET

AZ2VET Well-Known Member

I am looking to get a mag pouch that I can carry on my belt which holds the mag horizontal with just a velcro closure and not the plastic clip/buckle, bullets down. Plan to carry it at 7 o'clock because my knife is at 9 o'clock. There may be another mag in a cargo pocket. I think it will work for me.
    Which ever way you go you just have to practice doing reloads so you don't have to think about what you are doing, it just happens.

drymag likes this.
  6. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

I make my own, they turn out pretty nice.
    IMG_0261.JPG

Kvasir, drymag, Arteest and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ok4506

Ok4506 Member

I wear a double mag pouch in the same position as my holster, except on the opposite side. Being taught and practicing with the bullets facing toward the middle works for me. The mag pouch works somewhat as a counterweight to the gun. But then again I wear OWB about 90% of the time.

drymag and Arteest like this.
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Active Member

If you get firearms training from an instructor who knows what he is doing, you will answer your own question. At least one of the replies here is incorrect, but it is not my job to point it out.

Shooter45 and drymag like this.
  9. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I carry mine bullet forward in a double kydex pouch. 20200419_092347.jpg

I like the bullet forward as I draw it out with my index finger pointing up the front side of the mag. This is so putting the mag in the gun is guided by my index finger. The mag goes where the finger is pointing like this....
    20200419_092843.jpg

The draw is natural straight out of the mag pouch and straight into the gun. No need to flip the mag or turn it in any fashion.

10. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Holster and magazine requires compromise and clothing planning for conceal carry. In my area, wearing OWB would only invite trouble. In the last 3 weeks, within 1/4 to 3/4 mile line of sight, there has been one murder by stabbing from a crazy. One critical shooting by a gang banger of an innocent passerby while the idiot was shooting at another druggie, and unknown yet murder by another gang suspect. All I would be doing is say take my gun from behind or follow me home and await the opportune time when I am gone and wife alone at home.

11. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

What is the reasoning behind having a double magazine holder and having the bullets point toward the middle? I would think that faster reloads would be the natural result of having your muscle memory so that every reload would take the same movement vis-a'-vis, having your wrist turn the same way, rotating or not rotating the magazine. If they are both facing the middle, your reload method would change from the first reload to the second.

Arteest and Shooter45 like this.
  12. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I'm confused by your comment about carrying OWB inviting trouble.
    I carry OWB 90% of the time in a pancake style holster and no one ever knows I'm carrying.
    A light jacket or shirt tail out covers most weapons.

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

The only way I carry anymore is with an OWB holster. I find it much more comfortable than an IWB and is just as concealable. That is one of the reasons I wear Hawaiin shirts - very long shirttail!

14. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

We have several gangs and a lot of drug problems and the police won't arrest anyone doing drugs or selling on the streets. Here, if you use your weapon legally for self defense because your life was in jeopardy, you will still get sued. Our perv AG sued and shut down USCCA and all the others.

I need a Hawaiian shirt like GD. OWB is my preferred but I relent to a pocket 38 at times. The summer heat is wicked with the humidity.

Shooter45 likes this.
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Understand.

drymag likes this.