The Firearms Forum banner

spartan

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JUNKKING 
#1 ·
took the spartan out today 9mm, feeling more comfortable with it, but shooting low on target, also only loader 5 in mag and on the last shot casing ended up in the chamber open end up?

#2 ·
took the spartan out today 9mm, feeling more comfortable with it, but shooting low on target, also only loader 5 in mag and on the last shot casing ended up in the chamber open end up?
Stovepiped?

That's USUALLY caused by limp-wristing.

I'd let someone else, that's used to high-power autoloaders, shoot the gun, and it if still happens it's a "gun problem", but if it don't, then it's a "you problem".

The gun recoils against your arm, to make the action work. If you don't hold your arm stiff enough - if your arm gives with the recoil - then the gun does not complete it's recoil movement. And you get stovepipes, you get jams, you get failures-to-feed.

If it DOES happen with a different shooter, try a different magazine.

Those are my "go-to" thoughts when someone has a problem with an autoloader. First - let someone else shoot it. Second - try a different magazine.

Third is try a different type of ammo. ;)

#4 ·
How long have you had the gun? How many rounds have you shot?

If you've shot a couple thousand rounds thru it, then it may be time for a new recoil spring.

#5 · (Edited)
How long have you had the gun? How many rounds have you shot?

If you've shot a couple thousand rounds thru it, then it may be time for a new recoil spring.
Its brand new. Its not characteristic of this gun.

#7 ·
Ms Beth, I'm new to the forum, but been shooting, mainly big bore pistols since the mid 60's. Alpo hit it on the head. Sounds to me like there are two problems though, the stovepipe is one, the other is "anticipation." A limp wrist will cause, the jam, but the low hits on the target is you, anticipating the recoil, of your new pistol. Easy to spot, not by you, but by an observer. We have all been guilty of this before, but concentration will take care of the problem...If not, the advise, to have another shooter try it, and then digress to magazine, and ammo, if the jam(s) persist. Whoever told you this vaulable info, has been there and done that hisself..Hope all works out well for you. Shoot and enjoy your new 9mm..Oh, great picture..Tells it all!

#11 ·
Beth, that 1911 came with a Metalform mag and I have never seen a bad one. I'm sure it could happen if somehow damaged.

This is different that shooting your .22.

Try this: Grip the pistol with a "firm handshake grip". Don't try to crush the frame but hold firm.

Lock your wrists and elbows.

Get a good sight picture and press the trigger ( don't jerk it. You should be surprised when the pistol goes off ) Just use firm pressure.

Keep me posted on how this works out for you.

We will correct the problem one step at a time. :)

I'm not convinced this is a mag related problem......yet.

Sorry Ron.

#13 ·
I believe Kimber and Chip McCormick both make 9mm 1911 mags, Id try the Kimber if possible. Im using mostly SS Pachmeyer in my Colt Combat Commander 9mm and they work great, but i dont think you can find them anymore. I would try to pay attn to form and grip also, as was mentioned. It wouldnt hurt to go ahead and pick up an extra mag or 2 though. Also, was this happening regularly, or once in awhile? If it was with run of the mill bulk ammo, and not happening often, could just be the ammo.

#15 ·
last time i was kinda all over target not all low. think i will have to get to range more
Having a knowledgeable observer would be the right thing to do. A good observer will point things out that would correct user errors. It helped me.

My Spartan V 9mm is moving up to around 1,000 rounds without a problem (except that time I loaded a mag full of cheap, crappy, foreign made 85 grain ammo...which nobody's gun would shoot).

Fortunately, if the problem is mechanical then you can count on STI to make it right.

#17 ·
i have to pay more attention to what i am doing i think i put left palm under handle when i was shooting, not possitive, but i think that's what i did. Just got finished watching u tube how to grip semi, need more range time and more attention to how i grip the gun. I am over the recoil issue so now time to get going

#18 ·
Left hand heel goes in the space left on the grip by your right hand and let your left hand follow the open space on the grip. My wife had that problem until she used the correct grip. I believe also it isnt the gun or magazine as most of the above people stated but your grip. As far along as you have came with guns in the past few years I dont think it will be long before you yourself take care of the problem. Good luck Beth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.