Specter (R?) PA

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin T, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']SPECTER BILLS SEEK TO REIN IN EXECUTIVE POWER[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']

Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) last week reintroduced several bills that he said were needed to limit presidential power and to restore the proper constitutional balance among the three branches of government.

The first bill (S.875) would instruct courts not to rely on a presidential signing statement when interpreting the meaning of any statute. (Similar legislation was introduced in previous sessions of Congress, but was not passed.) President Bush used signing statements "in a way that threatened to render the legislative process a virtual nullity, making it completely unpredictable how certain laws will be enforced," said Sen. Specter. "As outrageous as these signing statements are,... it is even more outrageous that Congress has done nothing to protect its constitutional powers," he said.

The second bill (S.876) would substitute the United States as the defendant in place of telecommunications companies in pending lawsuits alleging unlawful surveillance. (Sen. Specter also introduced such a bill in 2008.)

"It is not too late to provide for judicial review of controversial post-9/11 intelligence surveillance activities," Sen. Specter said. "The cases before Judge Vaughn Walker [alleging unlawful surveillance] are still pending and, even if he were to dismiss them under the statutory defenses dubbed 'retroactive immunity', Congress can and should permit the cases to be refiled against the Government, standing in the shoes of the carriers."

"The legislation also establishes a limited waiver of sovereign immunity... to prevent the Government from asserting immunity in the event it is substituted for the current defendants," Sen. Specter explained. (As for the likelihood that the Government would assert the “state secrets privilege” to abort such litigation, that is addressed in another pending bill.)

The third bill (S.877), which is new, would require the Supreme Court to review certain cases concerning the constitutionality of intelligence surveillance, statutory immunity for telecommunications providers, and other communications intelligence activities, and would eliminate the Court's discretion as to whether or not to grant "certiorari." The bill was necessitated, he said, by the Supreme Court's refusal to review an appeals court decision that overturned a 2006 ruling by Judge Anna Diggs Taylor which found the Terrorist Surveillance Program to be unconstitutional.

Sen. Specter discussed his approach to these matters in "The Need to Roll Back Presidential Power Grabs," New York Review of Books, May 14, 2009.[/FONT]

2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Maybe this is Specter trying to "make-up" for voting in favor of Barry's Porkulus Spending "Stimulus" Bill. Guess old Specter isn't getting stimulated anymore:rolleyes:

3. XShooter

XShooter New Member

Just finished reading the "The Need to Roll Back Presidential Power Grabs," link you posted. I agree with what Senator Specter is trying to achieve with these bills. It would appear that Obama is no different than Bush when it comes to using the "signing statements."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I hate that this gives the Damnocraps the 60 votes needed for absolute control, but - -

At the same time, good riddance to bad rubbish. Spector has done nothing but vote against our values for many moons now.

5. kerk

kerk New Member

It really makes no difference. It's not what you call yourself, but how you vote, that counts.

He will vote how he votes, doesn't matter which party claims him, but hopefully he will get knocked of in 10 by a conservative.

6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    He can't be re-elected by the GOP, so he thinks he'll do better with the donkeys. He's been one for over thirty years. Good luck, Arlen. Hope PA kicks you out!! TJ

7. artabr

artabr New Member

Sorry for my repost of this (not really), but...........

One down, Two to go. :mad:

Attached Files:

8. kerk

kerk New Member

Absolute control? Not really. 60 dems doesn't always mean 60 votes to kill a filibuster. Fortunately there are some blue dog dems in the senate. So it is still important to stay active and be heard, as to influence their votes as much as possible.

But that is a double edge sword. If they behave themselves, they may not lose one, or both chambers in 10. In that regard, I kind of wish they would go crazy enough to get voted out in 10.

Also, in 78-79, Carter had 62 dems in the senate. In 80 we got Reagan.

9. yorkiepap

yorkiepap New Member

Hey guys/gals,
    "Snarlin" Arlen "Defector" Spector is the worst kind of politician who would sell his soul to the devil to stay in power, and most already do that. He's always been a RINO/turncoat typical lawyer who is only interested in his own gains & cares nothing for his constituents. Well, being from the tax swamp of the east, the forever-Democrat stronghold, the state of union-run political idiots, nothing surprises me anymore. This state has run more business out because of their greed with tax-to-death politics and wonders why no business will come here, or gives total tax-exemption for 5-7yrs to entice a business and then after the tax-free period expires, moves out as did Volkswagen.

I hope Toomey rips his a$$ come election time, but probably to avail as this state is a Democrat pit of snakes. Ok.... vent over..... Denny

10. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I posted this in my Myspace blog:

Arlen Specter
    He decided to switch parties! Wow. After 30 years of voting with the democrats on almost every issue ranging from abortion to gun control to taxes he just realized that he's really a democrat. He's been a senator for 30 years for 5 terms. He's 79 years old. He's seen it all while "serving." He knew full well what his ideology was. It's one thing when a little old lady or a 15 year old kid decides that the party that they once supported didn't really go along with their ideas, but didn't really know better because they don't really pay attention to politics. Arlen Specter knows exactly what he stands for and who he votes with. He just jumped platforms for 2 reasons and 2 reasons alone. There are more democrats in PA now and the democratic party has more money to spend on campaigns. He is only out for himself. Not the citizens of Pennslyvania. He has been duping his constituents for 30 plus years and should be kicked out of that state for lying to them all that time. I don't like Charles Schummer or Charles Rangel but at least I can respect them because they state exactly what they are and stand for what they believe in even if it goes against my political beliefs. Arlen Specter is a conniving politician who cares only about himself.

11. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Well said, Marlin.

13. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Good Riddance you worthless RINO

14. obxned

obxned Active Member

He's the kind of person that gives prostitution a bad name.