The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smith & Wesson model 3 double action In .44 Russian for which I’m keen on acquiring or constructing a speed loader. Does anyone know of any compatible loaders or happen to know if any more modern revolvers have cylinders with the same specs. Any cleaver and ingenious quick loading alternatives? This is my first post on a firearms forum and I appreciate any help from the community.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I have a smith & Wesson model 3 double action In .44 Russian for which I’m keen on acquiring or constructing a speed loader. Does anyone know of any compatible loaders or happen to know if any more modern revolvers have cylinders with the same specs. Any cleaver and ingenious quick loading alternatives? This is my first post on a firearms forum and I appreciate any help from the community.

-Matt
Welcome to TFF from Sitka, Alaska. Hop on Google Video and enter Prideaux Loader. They were intended for the Webley .455 revolvers. Watching the video it struck me that there may be enough "wiggle room" for it to be used with the Smith Model 3. Original Prideaux loaders are both rare and expensive, but repros pop up on both Ebay and auction sites from time to time. Measured the cylinder diameter of my Webley MkVI, and it works out at 1 3/4" +/- a frog's hair.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I cannot, at the moment, recall where I have put my 1881 double action.

That, by the way, is what that gun is. Also it is correctly referred to as a number 3. This refers to the frame size. Like modern Smith & Wesson have a letter designating the frame size - J, K, L, N, X - in the 1800s they gave their frame sizes a number.1, 1½, 2, 2½, and 3. A number 3 was their big 44 caliber frame.

Many people speak of a Model 3, but they are incorrect. The smallest model number Smith & Wesson makes, or has ever made, is a Model 10.

Now that I have that off my chest :) :

This is my single action number 3 44 Russian. As you can see, a standard HKS speed loader - #29 - designed for the Smith & Wesson Model 29 44 Magnum revolver fits perfectly.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts