Sper Vel Ammo ??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wolfgang, Apr 13, 2009.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Super Vel Ammo ??

Hi , can someone some background on the Super Vel ammo company ??
    Below are two pictures of vintage Super Vel ammo boxes , how old are they ??
    how did they shoot ?? stopping power ??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

oh gee. I wish I could help you. Does the side of the box give any reference to a manufacturer? Even a projuct code might be of help. If I had to take a guess i dont believe they are nearly what modern ammo is capable of.

But let me guess, did you find them in an estate sale in a shoe box along with an Iver Johnson pistol?:D:D:D:D:D

3. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

hi cycloneman, Super Vel was the manufacturer in days gone past ,

PS are you internt stalking me ?????

4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hahaha yea believe me i wish i could get outta here. i had a cold for 2 weeks then had about 5 good days and came down with a relapse. the doc says not unusual for this to last 6 weeks. last time i had fever for 8 days, today makes 3 for this go around. i know of a few people who had this last 6 weeks. in fact i was out of town on the first round staying with a worker that actually came down with phenomena and ended up in the hospital. anyway i hit the new post button and write to keep from going insane.

5. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

howdy , don't feel bad I also had it twice in the last year , I missed a fre trip to Washigton DC for New Years , it comes and goes , and comes back , stay warm and have some pizza , the pizza won't hurt , wolf

6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

Super Vel was the first of the high velocity/light bullet handgun rounds. They came out IIRC in the 1960's. At the time many shooters considered them the greatest invention since the percussion cap. Super Vel's success caused the mainstream ammo companies to develop their own light bullet rounds, and the rest is history.

wolfgang, your Super Vel boxes might have some collector interest.

7. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Re: Super Vel Ammo ??

howdy form soutern NY steve, empty boxes are fairly commen , boxes with a few rounds and full boxes are tough , missed two full boxes at the Middletown NY gun show , I was stuck behind a few people and someone bought the boxes in front of me opps , many thanks for the post, wolf

8. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Hi guys , here is a picture of a box of Super Vel bullets , 125 gr hollow points , wolf :D

[​IMG]

9. FWP

FWP New Member

Super Vel came out in the late 60's or early 70's. Their original loads pushed very light bullets at high velocity. As Steve said they were thought to be the best handgun round out there at the time but in the real world they had their limitations. They used 110 gr bullets in the 38 Spl and I think in the 357. They used a 90 gr bullet in the 9MM.

They were fast but because the bullets were fragil they lacked penetration. This was a handicap. Others followed suit offering light but better constructed bullets and eventually Super Vel fell out of favor.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I saw two boxes of Super Vel in my local gun shop today, I would not known what it was if it had not been for this thread, thanks. OBTW, he sold one of them for $40 after I pointed it out to another customer and was discussing this thread.