Spike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trouble 45-70, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Has anyone read "Spike". circa1970s Can't recall the author. A reporter in Viet Nam is fed a story that eventualy earns him a Pulitzer or something like that. Years later he finds out the truth at great physical risk. When he tries to get out the story it gets spiked everywhere. The dishonesty that we see in the press today is self imposed, not misdirected as in this protagonists case. Care to comment?

2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Didn't find it on google. Sounds interesting, tho.

3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Haven't heard of it but is does sound interesting!!

4. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Fiction. However in my 19 years in the oil patch I ran into 2 mud loggers who had worked as reporters in S. America. One was in Argintena, I don't remember which country the other one reported from. Their stories were almost identical. There was a great deal of terrorist activity of the comunist varity in S. America. They had each turned in hundreds of stories about comunist attacks, terror, murder and autrocities. They could not get one printed. Their editors insisted on stories of Police and Guardia National autrocities. When they sent in stories like that, they were so heavily edited and rewriten that the only way to recognize the was by their byline or beauro head. We had some good discussions about this after I had loaned them my copy. The had started out as idealistic reporters but eventualy left in digust and took other lines of work.

5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member