The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys and gals...
I have an old Chinese Type 56 SKS... all #'s match less the bayonet... Any way.. The original stock is a tad loose to the receiver. It shoots but... I'd like a better fit. I have temporarily bed the receiver into another stock that fits a whole lot better.
Now.. I know the SKS isn't worth its weight in paper money to the government.. Oops.. did I just say that... But, would I be killing any "value" on the rifle if I put some of that bedding epoxy into the original stock to tighten up the fit. Or is it a pointless gesture, since the SKS's have been known for the slop factor? Also.. I have the notion of swapping out the 10 rounder for a 5 rounder (for the hunting season only). Any one have one they are willing to part with? I find $30+ a bit steep on line.
Any way... just tossing ideas around in my head...
Thanks.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
I bobbed a Norc commercial SKS back in the ealry 90s when they were still cheap and plentiful. I bought it with a sloppy Ramline folder on it so I got a factory stock and whittled & trimmed it down so it wasn't so fat-wristed. Added a recoil pad to it for a "normal" length of pull while I was carving. I filled in the bayonet groove (read on) and actually looked semi-presentable.
The bayonet lug had been hacksawed off by the previous owner so I reshaped the remnants to clean that up.
It made for a sweet handling little brush carbine...and it was a bit lighter than a stocker which was my intent when I started with it.

The replacement stock was actually too tight and I had to open it up to fit my action to it. I'm not sure how aggressive you could get with bedding an SKS.

When I traded it off, I still got going market value for it...I might've lost the time I had invested in the hack-job but it was just a winter time waster project anyway. Cheap stockmaking practice.

I don't know how big the collector market is on surplus SKSs though. I doubt it'll ever be a high-dollar rig but then again we all thought that about Mausers and Springfields at one time too! LOL
If it was me, since I'm dumb enough to kill collector value by butchering numerous matching number Swedes, I'd go for it.

· Registered
19,347 Posts
you could always bed it in a way that it could be gound out of the stock at a later time if unwanted. and of course.. warded from not bonding to the metal.

as for the mag for hunting. seems you could put a plug in it??

· Registered
3,584 Posts
as for the mag for hunting. seems you could put a plug in it??
That's what I did with my SKSs.
Here in ND, we've got an 8-round limit (a throwback to the Garand I presume) for big-game hunting. I whittled up a little wooden plug that limits the stock mag to 7 rounds...only because I measured wrong and have been too lazy to make another try. It just drops in the magazine below the follower and only allows it to pivot down so far. Easy to remove, no permanent mod, & inexpensive.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Ok Guys and gals...
I have an old Chinese Type 56 SKS... all #'s match less the bayonet... Any way.. The original stock is a tad loose to the receiver. It shoots but... I'd like a better fit. I have temporarily bed the receiver into another stock that fits a whole lot better.
Now.. I know the SKS isn't worth its weight in paper money to the government.. Oops.. did I just say that... But, would I be killing any "value" on the rifle if I put some of that bedding epoxy into the original stock to tighten up the fit. Or is it a pointless gesture, since the SKS's have been known for the slop factor? Also.. I have the notion of swapping out the 10 rounder for a 5 rounder (for the hunting season only). Any one have one they are willing to part with? I find $30+ a bit steep on line.
Any way... just tossing ideas around in my head...
Thanks.
I don't see how you could harm the value of this gun, they are not worth a whole lot to start with. You could go the route you are thinking of with the epoxy, and I'm sure it will work. I bought a folding stock for mine, and it worked well. Here in TX there are no limits on the number of rounds in your gun, except for migratory game birds. It's legal here for us to use silencers/suppressors.

Attachments

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I "plugged" my 10 round mag well last fall for hunting with a plastic holder from one of my end mill bits... it limited it to 4 rounds.. I'm good with that.. butI think it looks cleaner with the 5 rounder for hunting... one less thing sticking out of the gun to tangle in the brush! Not that the bayo' lug isn't sticking out like a sore thumb! But when it comes down to "putting it back to O.E." for the "classic" comp shoots around here... wha-la... its back to a 10 rounder, the "accessories" are put back on it, and its "original" less the bedding.... Now i'm wondering if any one makes a full aluminum bed block... curse my rambling brain!
Thanks for the input.... keep it coming!
Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.