The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother called me the other day and wants me to come to his place and thin out the squirrels. Seems they are chewing some wires up on his work truck and leaving nut shells in the motor compartment.

I was trying to decide between my 20ga. or 10/22. I've used the 10/22 before in the fall when the leaves were off, but I'm thinking the shotgun might be better for spring season. Up close and fast moving squirrels would be easier with the shotgun.

What is your preferred firearm of choice for spring squirrel season?

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
aside from bbgun decades ago. i take tree rat with a scattergun.

I have TRIED using them darned spread open brass 22lr shotshells before.. but they always failed to eject.. and again.. that was decades ago...

i'm not good enough shot to shoot a fuzzy tailed mouse running on a tree limb with a 22, and no know where that slug is gonna land 1.5m away.

shot? not so worried about it. i've been rained on with shot. not very alarming. having a slug bean me would be...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I use both. I have an older Savage model 24 D, .22 lr over 20 ga. chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" magnums. If one barrel doesn't get them, the other will. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Squirrels is what my Stevens .22/.410 was made for. But i dont think its been shot since about the time I was born. It was my grandfathers. He taught me to hunt (squirrels) with a shotgun. We'd use the ole bolt .410s, or he'd use his savage 24 20g. Then I stated using a .22 for them once most of the leaves fell. Shotgun sure makes it easier when theres so many leaves.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I would go with the shotgun also. Too many leaves on the trees to do well with a .22. In this situation you don't want to just scare them, you want to kill them.

·
Premium Member
19,874 Posts
I think it depends where you live. Is there homes around? If so no 22. I love my 22 so if there was room that is what I would use.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think it depends where you live. Is there homes around? If so no 22. I love my 22 so if there was room that is what I would use.
I agree with this.

If you're in a heavily wooded area and the closest house is over a mile away, a 22lr may be fine. But, if you aren't sure of the surroundings I would recommend a SG.

-

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Might take and get you a cage type trap and bait'em in and catch the critters,
then put'em in the freezer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am more with soundguy. I cringe everytime i see or here of a singal projectile being fired into the air . Soundguy is correct you will need atleast a 2 mile clearence flight to shoot safely. However you did not subcribe the close range buildings and animals being with in range either. I think your safest bet would be the 20 gage. your friendly NYS Hunter Ed. Ins. shoot well

bigdad5

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. He lives in a very rural area with no other houses for at least a mile and probably farther. Depends on the direction too.

I was thinking the shotgun would be easier, but with the 22 there wouldn't be shot in the meat.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. He lives in a very rural area with no other houses for at least a mile and probably farther. Depends on the direction too.

I was thinking the shotgun would be easier, but with the 22 there wouldn't be shot in the meat.
If you want to eat the squirrels, then use #4 shot. It's heavy enough that most of the shot will go thru the squirrel, and what little stays in the meat is easy to find, and remove. It's the only size shot I use, and I've killed thousands of squirrels!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to eat the squirrels, then use #4 shot. It's heavy enough that most of the shot will go thru the squirrel, and what little stays in the meat is easy to find, and remove. It's the only size shot I use, and I've killed thousands of squirrels!
Thanks for that info, I was planning on using #6's.

What choke do you use?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Thanks for that info, I was planning on using #6's.

What choke do you use?
It doesn't really matter which choke you use, but the tighter the choke, the more your shot will stay together, thus giving you more/longer range. #6 shot will work, but it's a lot harder to dig all the shot out!

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts

If you are worried about shot being in the meat do what my Dad said he did to keep from ruining the meat. He used a 22 rifle with hollow points, shot just in front of the nose to suck all the air out of the poor little fellows lungs, and he would suffocate. For some reason he had a twinkle in his eye when he told us this and I really never really believed him.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts