The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield 1863 that my grandfather brought back from the Mozambican War of Independence. Does anyone know anything about the US trading muskets to Africa after the Civil War? Does anyone know of muskets being used in African colonial rebellions in the 1960's, or could this have been just a relic or a poacher's gun? All metal parts seem original and have US stamps, but the end of the stock has been crudely cut down.

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
Welcome to TFF Kiko.
This forum has people that can probably help you with your questions but the more information you can provide the better your help will be. Please read the following link and repost in that forum since this is the intro forum.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
TFF Chaplain
21,644 Posts
Welcome to TFF from the UK.

This thread will probably get shifted to another section of the forum, where people will be able to give you some advice and answer your question. Follow the instructions on the link One Shot gave, especially the pictures.

Reactions: One Shot and Hawg

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
A lot of Civil War rifles had the stocks cut down and the rifling bored out to make shotguns. Or they had the stocks cut and the barrel shortened to make hunting rifles. There's no telling how it got to Mozambique but I don't think the government traded or sold them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.