Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Springfield 1864 Percussion Cap Musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Haphappy, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Haphappy

Haphappy New Member

Hi al:

My dad recently passed and left two muskets to me (this is one), however I cannot seem to locate much, if any information. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

If you are looking for an '1864 Springfield' you are looking in the wrong place. No such animal. Yours is a Model 1863 U.S. Springfield Rifle. I assume you got '1864' from the lockplate? That isn't the model - it is the year of manufacture.

My poor/tired computer is s.l.o.w., but from what I am seeing, your rifle is missing a few parts - to include the rear sling swivel and screw, the middle and front stock bands, nose cap and the side lock brass bushings. I cannot determine the condition of the barrel, but most of these are found usually pretty rusted and pitted. I'm guessing rusted because the nipple looks to be rusted in place.

Unfortunately, the stock has been mutilated/cut. Especially bad because the remaining wood is in outstanding condition and has clear cartouches (inspector's marks). That is a shame. The barrel has been cut, and the rifle is missing the front and rear sights. I'm not certain, but I think your hammer is from a Model 1861 Springfield.

Here is the bad news: original Civil War era Springfield .58 rifles in decent condition often fetch over $800. Yours might go for $150 on a good day to someone looking for a few original parts. Maybe. Good luck and thanks for the post!

3. Haphappy

Haphappy New Member

Thank you so much for the detail; that explains the model 1864 issue. My mom bought this for my dad around 1968 in NH and I was always suspicious of how it looked. Hopefully it will find a home in the future. I also posted about a Lorenz if you have any info on that type of musket.

4. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

A lot of those were cut down after the war to be used as hunting rifles and many of them had the rifling removed to be used as shotguns. The metal really doesn't look that bad aside from some minor pitting. I'd put the value somewhere around 400-500. A complete one would go for around 1000 or a little better.

Haphappy likes this.
  5. Haphappy

Haphappy New Member

Thanks for the detail; appreciate everyone’s input as there is so much history that I wasn’t aware of.