The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I have acquired an old Springfield. I don't have a lot of experience with them, I need some answers. It was my great grandads rifle, is not and will not be for sale. So, values are purely for curiosity sake. However I am very interested in the different markings on the rifle. It looks to be an original, not cut down, as far as I know. It is a little over 4 feet in length.
Has a serial number 141865
Has a weird stamp on the stock.. 6E

Has a stamp on the inside of the trap door on the butt....29
3Y

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

It has been over the fireplace in my Uncles Home for the last 20 years. He passed away some time ago and his son, my cousin wanted me to have it. As we removed it from its mounts, I casually opened the bolt to find, not surprisingly, that it was loaded and had a full magazine. The dang ammo is older than me!

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
"...not surprisingly, that it was loaded and had a full magazine." Good for your uncle. Unloaded gun is useless.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As to value. good clear pictures are a must. Without pictures, a generl value with what little info canot be determined. I have 3 of them, 2 are worth a god bit being all original with original slings but the third and best looking one most would say has been cut down thus not worth very much sp please post pictures of it including any and all markings on teh stock as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 1898 Springfield is more commonly known as the Krag. Was based upon an action design from Norway, the Krag-Jorgensen. First adopted by the US Army in 1892, it was the first bolt-action rifle, first smokeless powder rifle, and first 30 caliber rifle used by the US Army.

The Krag was used during the Spanish-American War, The Boxer Rebelion, and The Philipine Insurection.

The cartridge is called either 30 Army, or more often, 30-40 Krag.

The Krag was manufactured in both rifle and carbine form. The rifle being more common

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
While I agree that more rifles were made than carbines, I believe, nowadays, the "rifle cut-down to carbine-size" is "more common".

Like mine.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
That one was made in '98, and is an actual antique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts