The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For giggles and grins I like to look and follow items on gun auction sites . I saw a item that caught my interest . It was listed as a Springfield 1903 NATO 7.62 x 51 rifle . To me it looked a lot like a 1916 Spanish Mauser . Is there such a animal or am I correct to guess it is miss listed ? As always I can post a picture but need the wifes expertise to get it done .

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
A 1903 Springfield would be chambered in 30-06, NOT .308 Nato. If it looks like a 1916 Spanish Mauser that's most likely what it is.

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
Most likely it's a Spanish Mauser converted to 7.62x51mmCETME, a cartridge dimensionally identical to 7.62x51mmNATO, but one which operates at a much lower chamber pressure and was intended for early series Spanish CETME service rifles. The higher pressure NATO rounds, as well as commercial .308 Winchester, shouldn't be fired in the small ring Spanish Mauser conversions..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said I will get pictures posted but won't be till after church tomorrow . First reading it thought maybe had been changed like some Garand were to 308 . I never had heard of a 03 being in anything but 30-06 but thought maybe somehow somebody was able to do a conversion job on it . Why anyone would of wanted I don't know why but after seeing the pictures to me was not a 03 . 1st was rifles slings were wrong and the wood . But I guess someone who didn't know what they had was selling it .

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
Like I said I will get pictures posted but won't be till after church tomorrow . First reading it thought maybe had been changed like some Garand were to 308 . I never had heard of a 03 being in anything but 30-06 but thought maybe somehow somebody was able to do a conversion job on it . Why anyone would of wanted I don't know why but after seeing the pictures to me was not a 03 . 1st was rifles slings were wrong and the wood . But I guess someone who didn't know what they had was selling it .
Hop on Google and enter "Spanish Mauser .308 conversions" for some interesting reading on the subject, as well as a few eye-opening photos on Google Image.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have read some on them . They just don't spark my interest much . But I would love to get a Springfield 03 .

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sweet !!! Would love to be able to get one day to go with my 1863 Muzzleloader , Trapdoor , Krag , M1917 Eddystone , and Garand .

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
View attachment 238857 View attachment 238857

I don't know what I would do without my wife's help when it comes to computers !!
Probably the same as I do - sit and stare at the blasted thing. :) My Dear One's the resident electronic wizard, computer genius and fixer-upper, picture taker etc. She's written computer programs and knows most systems inside out.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
Its a Spanish 1916 Guarda Civil Mauser, originally 7mm rechambered for 7.62 CETME as somebody said earlier, NOT 7.62 NATO!

They were available all over the place for $100 or less 20 years ago, and many dealers and jobbers were selling them as chambered for “.308.”

I bought one about 20 years ago, and a box of commercial .308, THEN researched it and sold it without firing it after I found out what it really was.

The 7.62 CETME round is the round originally developed by H&K right after WWII for their CETME assault rifle that eventually became the HK 91, but since they were by law not allowed to produce guns in Germany right after the war, they made it in Spain and Spain ultimately adopted it in the early to mid 1950s and the Rifle was also called the CETME. Spain was poor, could not afford a lot of the then State of the art CETME rifles, so they converted a lot of Spanish Army LARGE Ring Mauser (M98s) to the round, for training, some looking like modern assault rifles with fake gas systems at the front. The Guarda Civil (Spanish National Police) converted many of their older SMALL ring Mausers (M96s) also to the CETME round, which they then called the M1916.

The CETME round was tested by a lot of countries, including the US, who was looking for a “smaller” round than the .30-06 and a higher power/pressure round with a new powder based on the same dimensions as the CETME round was adopted as the 7.62 NATO in the late 1950s. The .308 Winchester, loaded even hotter, was then later developed commercially from the same 7.62 NATO round in the early 1960s.

They will all chamber in any gun made for any of them as they are dimensionally identical, but NOT in power! The CETME round is in the 45000-48000 psi(or CUP, I forget, but you get the relative power idea) chamber pressure range, the NATO round is loaded in the 55000+ range and the commercial .308 is loaded to the 60000+ range, something like 63,000.

Generally, it is not recommended to shoot commercial .308 ammo in a rifle originally designed for 7.62 NATO. It is also not recommended to shoot 7.62 NATO ammo in any rifle originally designed for or converted to 7.62 CETME, except POSSIBLY the LARGE ring converted Spanish Mausers.

(The later HK 91 is a much stronger version of the original Spanish CETME, but it’s tough to tell them apart at first glance...)

It could be catastrophic to shoot .308 Winchester ammo in the SMALL ring Spanish Mausers.

I am SO glad I didn’t!😎

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Kind of odd that a M1916 Mauser (a re-worked 7mm M93 small ring Mauser) would be listed as a "1903 Springfield".

The subject of these rifles has been covered many times. These rifles were built to handle pressures of around 45,000 pounds of pressure when they were new 100 years ago. It is foolish to stuff more powerful ammunition in them today. You MIGHT get away with doing it for a while (maybe), but eventually somebody is going to get a face-full of bolt and receiver.

I had a friend many years ago who received a new early model Mustang convertible as a wedding present from his new father in law. My friend worked for the old Rockwell International at LAX airport and had access to AVGAS (high octain airplane fuel). He used to add AVGAS to his Mustang's fuel tank and got much increased performance over regular automotive gasoline. He ended up blowing up his engine and junking the Mustang. What a shame! That was one sweet Mustang.

You will get the same results by shooting .308 Winchester or 7.62mm NATO from that M1916 Mauser.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
Yeah Jim, my memory gets more colorful but less precise as I age. It WAS the M93 7mm Mauser...not a slouch by any means, if they had more of them in Cuba they might’ve kicked our butts, they so outclassed our Krags, but it still was designed for the 7x57...decent accurate rounds but not much more more powerful than our Navy 6mm Lees the Marines were using at the same time😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts