The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking at this one, and am considering picking one up for CCW in summer wear. Has anyone here had their hands on one? The reviews I have seen thus far are very positive; I am kind of put off by Croatia as a POI, but this size in a .45 is sure attractive -

And a couple of the oversized clips in my shorts pocket would make it quite formidable -

I am looking for impressions; fit, recoil, handling, accuracy -

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fit was good on my buddies. Recoil was manageable, but with shootin her more I woulda been more comfortable with it. He says it is every way better than his Glock that got stolen and had to be replaced with the Springfield. All in all I was impressed with it fer a poly gun.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lonewolf!

I see in the American Rifleman for April that they have brought out this model in 9mm now - more shots, less recoil -
That may be more suited to my needs -

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
My nephew had this gun. Solid shooter and accurate. The gun not my nephew.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought about one and finally had a chance to actually pick it up and hold a few weeks ago. I didnt like the fact my pinky didnt fit onto the whole grip. Plus I think it only held 5 rounds and no extra magazines were available, or so this gun shop said and was around 650.00

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I have read great reviews. I have not handled this model but my xd9sc is a fine, reliable shooter.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Terry

I have 3 Springfield XDs in 9mm and 45ACP

They are fine firearms very high quality. They have given Glock a run for it's money for sure. And I am a Glock fan also.;)

They field strip and reassemble easy and you get a full set of grip back straps to use the one that fits your hand best. These guns are innovative and even though I carry a G30 right now, I've been wanting to add one of these to my collection

·
Registered
742 Posts
When I finally get my 1911 ruger mark and a .45 or .44-40 wheel gun then I will probably by one of these fer s&g. Great gun functioned really well, shot everythin he shot through it. The recoil and accuracy issues were mine not the guns. I haven't shot pistols in bout 10 yrs and then jumped right into this one. And I need a lot of practice with shot placement in handguns. Always have.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I bought one but havnt fired it as yet. I really like it in all other ways. I got the Pierce extended grips for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've had one for several months now. It is accurate and reliable. It actually saved me from being robbed a couple weeks ago. All I had to do was put my hand on it (under the counter) and he left the store really fast. Scared the crap outta me too:eek:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I keep looking at this one, and am considering picking one up for CCW in summer wear. Has anyone here had their hands on one? The reviews I have seen thus far are very positive; I am kind of put off by Croatia as a POI, but this size in a .45 is sure attractive -

And a couple of the oversized clips in my shorts pocket would make it quite formidable -

I am looking for impressions; fit, recoil, handling, accuracy -
Terry, I have owned an XD and can't fault them, except mine was an XD 40 and I prefer a .45. I personally don't like pistols without a thumb safety or decocker. I would suggest you look at the S&W M&P compact, before you buy the Springfield. Between Glock, SA, and S&W, I like the S&W best. It's well built and is a natural pointer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are nice, but you might be better off with a 9mm or .40 S&W Higher capacity and a .45 really needs a longer Barrel to perform well, if you look at short Barrel Ballistics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've shot about 170 rds thru a 45 XDS. I like the size, accuracy, and recoil is very manageable. They have 5 and 7 rd magazines, which I understand the 7rd magazine is hard to find now. The round count is like shooting a revolver, and while at the range you spend about as much time loading magazines as shooting.

I understand the 9mm version will have a couple more rounds, and would be a good thin CCW as long as your comfortable packing a 9mm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up an XDs in .45 last November or so. I like it alot. I normally can't get away with much more than pocket carrying an LCP and jumped at a chance to upgrade to .45acp, my preferred caliber, even if it is low capacity. I know it's bigger than an LCP, but it's the first .45acp that was small enough to make it worth the hassle for me to try to conceal anything larger than an LCP.

Fit and finish are great, I LOVE the sites on it, and the recoil isn't bad. Not something I want to shoot all day, but not that bad either. The only issue I've had with it is if you try loading the first cartridge by racking the slide I have to consciously hold the slide at the rear most point for a fraction of a second before releasing it, otherwise the cartridge gets bound up at a weird angle as it's trying to get into the barrel.

If I use the slide release it loads just fine, so I know it's user error, but I've NEVER had this issue with any other gun, and it is a consistent issue with my XDs. I also hate using the slide release as it's VERY stiff to depress when there's a loaded magazine inserted. I wish there was more of a horizontal surface on the slide release (like a 1911) so you could get more umph on it.

I would still recommend the gun to anyone looking for a very compact .45. I will be picking up the 9 mm version for my wife in the future.

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
A co worker has an XDS in .45. Nice shooter especially when you get a .45 down to that small size. Not something to shoot all day, but very reasonable given it's size/weight

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had an XD40 service for awhile now, and really like how it fits my mitts.

Picked it up used at a price I couldn't say no to, and am happy with it so far.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts