Springfield Model 15 problems, .22 WMR conversions?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Shrek73, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

I have a Springfield Model 15 that I am having some problems with. After firing .22LR the cases swell up and become difficult to remove with the bolt. Often the extractor slips off the rim and I have to remove the spent cartridge with a screw driver, and once I get the case out it often has ripples in the metal. I am guessing the chamber is too big, which is causing the expansion. I have the spent cases and can post pictures later today. Is there a way to fix the chamber?

I had thought about trying to convert this into a .22WMR but didn’t know if that was possible. I have read on other forums where people have successfully did that and this would serve as a perfect candidate since it is not worth that much.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Someone will jump in with a much better answer, but here's a thought for you: After the turn-of-the-century there was a small caliber rim fire cartridge that was fairly popular and made for rifles of size similar to the common .22 long rifle. This ammunition became obsolete in the 30s and 40s but the guns are still out there. That might be what you have. Maybe so - maybe not. Just a thought. I think a good source of information here would be Alpo.

Kweeksdraw likes this.

3. Shrek73

It's marked .22s,l,lr on the top of the barrel.

Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.
  4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Need some pics of the fired cases

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Has it got a carbon ring from shooting shorts? If it has enough room to eject a fired case I don't see a problem converting it. The bore will be a little tight but shouldn't hurt anything.

Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.
  6. Shrek73

Will post photos when I get home.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  7. Shrek73

It chambers .22lr with no problems and ejects them without being fired. I will post pictures this evening. The bore looks good and the locking mechanism of the Springfield Model 15 is pretty strong. I would like to keep it .22lr since I just mounted a Lyman 55A peep sight on it, but if the chamber is shot I may try to convert it.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. jim brady

So much for the 'odd-ball' rim fire caliber idea. Does sound more like a ring of lead and/or carbon in the chamber - OR a damaged chamber. Have you tried soaking the chamber/breech area with s good solvent? Sometimes a good soaking and a tight fitting bronze brush will do the trick.

I'm not too sure about converting a .22 s-l-lr to .22 Magnum. It would have to be a very strong action with suitable safety lugs. I don't know the factory specs for the chamber pressures - but it must be quite a lot in difference.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Shrek73 and Kweeksdraw like this.
  9. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just for giggles try running some 22 shorts through and see what happens.

Shrek73 and Kweeksdraw like this.
  10. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

The chamber may be worn from careless cleaning.

Shrek73 likes this.
  11. Shrek73

Okay, I fired a .22 CB thru it and it ejected fine.

I took some pictures of the spent cases from my last trip to the range. There is distinctive swelling in the cases.

When I looked in the chamber I did see some crescent shaped buildup on the walls. (2nd & 3rd Pictures)

I put a .22 bronze brush in a drill and ran it thru the chamber with oil. I cleaned it, and took more pictures. (4th Picture) It seem to remove the buildup. I put one of the spent cases and it still jammed up, but maybe they were too deformed to eject properly. Unfortunately, I live in a city and won’t be able to test it till this weekend.

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw and grcsat like this.
  12. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I noticed that on the shell case No 3 you have two indented groves. Do the others have them also ?Or was that just the results of a loading jam?

Kweeksdraw and Shrek73 like this.
  13. jim brady

Sure looks like a lot of lead build up. Might take a lot of elbow grease - but it should come clean. I'm guessing that the built up lead coating the chamber walls is your problem - the cases expand on firing and those "rings of lead" are keeping the spent cases from extracting properly.

Kweeksdraw, Shrek73 and Firpo like this.
  14. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

A .22LR chamber can be reamed out to .22WMR. The chamber pressure, believe it or not, is identical between the two. The difference is that in order for the .22WMR to reach it's velocity, the pressure remains steady until the bullet exits the bore, more of a continuous push instead of a peak that tapers off. This will result in more force exerted against the bolt. I have a Daisy Legacy that was changed over by a previous owner and eventually given to me because it wouldn't fire (firing pin peened flat from idiots dry firing it). I haven't fired any WMR in it, basically because I ran across a ton of WRF at Gander Mountain during the "panic" and the had literally shelves piled with it. Evidently no one knew that you could fire it in WMR chambers...so I picked a bunch up for almost LR prices they were so anxious to get rid of it.

Kweeksdraw and Shrek73 like this.
  15. Shrek73

I am pretty sure that was caused by removal. I was at the range and only had a flat head screwdriver to remove the case. They load easily, it is only after they are fired do I run into a problem.

Kweeksdraw likes this.