Springfield Model 15 problems, .22 WMR conversions?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Shrek73, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

What would you suggest for lead removal? The drill and bronze brush seemed to smooth it out. My pre-pictures didn't show the chamber as well as my post pictures, but it is defiantly cleaner and more uniform than before.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

The cases are not uniform in there markings so.
    Time to polish the chamber.
    Mike

Kweeksdraw likes this.

3. Shrek73

How do I go about polishing the chamber? I have never had this issue before.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This is how you do it if you do not want to get into the expense of tools.
    With the bolt out take a wood dowel that is smaller then the chamber and tape on a piece of 800 grit sand paper at the depth of the chamber wrapping it around the dowel put a drill on the other side then slip into the chamber and turn on the drill working it in and out of the chamber. Then go to 1000 grit paper and do the same thing. Make sure the paper is wrapped around the dowel so it is wrapped around the opposite way you are going to turn it so it gets tighter not looser.
    Do this just a few times because you are trying to polish not ream it.
    Mike

Kweeksdraw and Shrek73 like this.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

A piece of Chore Boy copper scrubbing pad wrapped around a bronze brush is the best thing for removing lead.

6. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never thought about tape. I always split the dowel and used emery cloth.

Kweeksdraw and goofy like this.
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Yep that works too.
    You just have to watch that the paper is even and round not bunched up on one side or the other and level all the way.
    I use emery too but with as bad as the brass looks on this gun I would use paper.
    Or at lest start with it and finish up with emery.
    Mike

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I make paracetic acid to remove lead, but you need to use it carefully and in a well-ventilated area

9. Shrek73

Well I finally got a chance to work on this tonight and used the bronze brush with copper pad and 2000 grit sand paper to polish it. It looks like there are still some ridges in there, but I don’t know if they are from the manufacturing long ago. I compared it with my Springfield Model 120, which doesn’t have this problem, and now it is defiantly cleaner looking than the chamber of Model 120. I put one of the spent cases from the photos in it and it ejected clean. Won’t be able to test fire it till this weekend.

Attached Files:

10. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Looks like you're on the right track.

Kweeksdraw, Shrek73 and jim brady like this.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You're doing great. I'd seriously doubt that those rings were there when the rifle was new or that it was some sort of manufacturing defect. They are there from improper cleaning and neglect. For many, many years the common notion was that .22s - unlike center fire rifles and pistols - required no cleaning. Just a guess here - but I'm thinking the wax coated bullets had something to do with this idea. Don't feel bad - I had as my last summer project an 1886 .45-70 Trapdoor Carbine with a badly leaded barrel from some previous owner's neglect. Not pristine - but looks and shoots much better now the lead is out. I think when you get all of that lead out of the chamber you will have a good shooting rifle.

12. Shrek73

Thanks for help, the lead build up is one of those things I didn't consider. The previous owner has spray painted everything pea green and the stock was in horrible shape. The bolt body had a crack in it and so I found an original style bolt body to replace it. The old barrel was pitted inside and out and ended up giving it to a friend for a project. I bought this barrel repaired the stock and added the Lyman Peep sight. There is something ascetically pleasing to the eye about these old Springfield Single Shots.

Funny thing is the friend who I gave the old barrel to sanded it, painted it and mounted it to a new stock. It is fairly accurate considering pitting inside of the barrel.

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  13. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I've seen some pretty badly pitted barrels make some impressive groups. The lead fills in the pits.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  14. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Maybe the rings are from shooting a LOT of shorts and longs.

15. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be from longs. They use the same case as the LR.

Kweeksdraw likes this.