The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a single shot 22 short, long and long rifle. I understand that Savage took overvthis company years ago, but continued making guns under the name of Springfield. I purchased this new in 1946 or 1947. Does this little rifle have any value? It was an excellent little learnrer rifle for me as a kid. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A pic or at least better description would help. Savage took over Stevens in the 1920's. And for many years made Savage/Stevens/and Springfield branded rifles. Invariably the Springfield line was cheaper economy version of one of the Savage/Stevens models. Only differences was usually cheaper "hardwood" stock instead of Walnut. More generic sights.
So it could be a version of a Savage model, or a Stevens model. Or one that both shared. There is little if any documentation of the Springfield line. You basically figure out which Savage/Stevens model it was. Generally a Springfield will be worth less than it's Savage/Stevens cousins. But in the case of vintage .22's, that doesn't mean much. Unless an extremely rare model. Most vintage .22's of all 3 lines have modest value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it is the cheap model. I purchased it with paper route earnings. Will try to get photo. Thanks.e

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm sure it is the cheap model. I purchased it with paper route earnings. Will try to get photo. Thanks.e
Even so, many of those old vintage .22's were darn good accurate rifles. Please do post pics. The only model 75 I recall is a Stevens gallery model pump. I'm curious to see what it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts