The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am drawn to older firearms which are no longer manufactured. I recently bought a Springfield/Savage Model 120 Series A. It is in beautiful condition, has classic American quality and the simplicity of a single shot 22. I am stumped by a mystery regarding cartridge extraction. After loading a variety of brands and cartridges (s, l, and lr), the bolt operates smoothly when extracting a loaded cartridge. As soon as I fire a cartridge (trying various brands and sizes), the bolt binds when I open it to the point that the extractor loses the rim of the fired case. The fired case then easily slides out of the chamber. There is not a problem with the chamber, nor the extractor. If anyone has a suggestion to explain my problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's a privilege to be a gun owner, shooter, and hunter. I appreciate being able to participate in the Firearms Forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
If you dry fire the gun, do you still have this problem? 2 things come to mind but answering would eliminate 1 of those problems. either firing pin protrusion is very excessive or the cocking cam in the bolt is in need of some love.
BTW Welcome to TFF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Helix_FR,
First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Second, thanks for the welcome to TheFirearmsForum. Third, I dry fired my rifle today with no empty case in the chamber, and when I opened the bolt, there was no binding, just like when I chamber a live round, close the bolt and open it. When I live fire the rifle, and open the bolt, it binds. If I place an empty (fired) case in the chamber and close the bolt, when I open the bolt, it binds.
If I understand correctly, the cocking cam in the bolt needs attention. What do you suggest?

P.S. I goofed with my original post, because I didn't know there was a discussion section for .22 rimfires, below, so I posted my problem there, as well (Sorry about this.) I received a response that may be consistent with what you said. It was a bit more technical than I understand, but I enjoy learning. Anyway, I am very grateful to be part of the FirearmsForum.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
put one of those fired cases back in the chamber. Does it bind, can you spin it in the chamber. Its possible your chamber is distorted and opening the bolt your forcing the case back into shape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back to me, and giving me the suggestion. I marked the rim of a fired case, and put it in the chamber. With a pair of tweezers, I was able to easily spin it completely around. I appreciate your help, and I'm thinking the prooblem is with the assembly of the bolt parts.
Have a great day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts