The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to find out what model this gun is. I can't find any photos online of one exactly like it. The curved part where the stock meets the action is different than most I've seen pictured. My understanding is, Savage- Stevens made the Springfield brand od shotguns? My dad was given the gun when he was 6 yrs old (1937-38) He told me it was a used gun even at that time. He once said believed it was maybe 20 years old or so but wasn't sure. (about 1917?)
Anyway, it does not have a number code in a circle on the bottom of the barrel like someone stated about another Springfield that was posted on a different thread. This gun only has the following markings arranged as shown on the underside of the barrel hidden by the forepiece.

B
T

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 12 ga J.Stevens made sometime in the 1930's that looks exactly like that.
Try going to Numrich's site and look up Springfield Model 94. Savage, Stevens, Springfield were all made by the same company.
That is a beautiful shotgun, remarkable shape given it's age. Mine looked nothing like that when it was given to me, complete with cob webs in the bore.
Your Dad took very good care of it.

I found the link
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...guns-40503/94shotgunseries-41398/94-34353.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link rice paddy daddy! I looked at the diagram. The 94 certainly looks similar. Not sure about the forestock and the back part of the trigger guard is a little different than this gun (mine has a little decorative split where the screw is attached.) but maybe the parts varied from year to year on the same model?

Thanks for your comment about the condition. He did take good care of the gun, however, it's had the metal work re-done which is why it looks as good as it does. The gunshop that did the work was not able to tell what the model or year was though.
Dad used this gun to hunt squirrels with throughout his childhood and on into adulthood. He was raised during depression era in the country and they actually used to cook up squirrel fairly regularly. Oddly enough, it's the only shotgun he ever owned. It got passed down to me.

**I'm still curious about these number markings I posted that are found on the underside of the barrel. I'm wondering if there is someplace that I can contact to find out what exactly they indicate.

B
T

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I belong to quite a few firearm forums.
Graybeard Outdoors forum has a lot of very knowledgeable people over there. There is a section for Savage rifles and shotguns under the RIFLE section, and there is a shotgun section as well http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

You could also try Savage Shooters http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php

I suggest you post your photos and ask the folks what you have.
Good luck. And please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We just repaired a Stevens Model 94 that looks almost exactly like that. The markings under the forearm are proof marks and inspector's marks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts