The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the sprue ( the flat part) of a home cast ball really be up I'm getting better groups when I put the sprue on the side it gets shaved off when rammed into the cylinder why put it up to interfere with flight when you can eliminate it all together.

I put up a pic of my targets all balls where loaded sprue to the side 35 grains kik fffg lube pill .457 round ball ruger old army ss

With sprue up I couldn't get groups this tight and loading is faster a lot of times you can fill the sprue with your thumb and can instantly set it on cylinder mouth and ram it home shaving off the flat spot or swaggerd off either way it's gone

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Good groups there! Most probably couldn't do as well with modern ammo.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
A Lee mold really doesn't have a sprue, just a flat spot. A sprue is like a little stem sticking up. I never pay any attention to which way the flat spot is loaded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea good groups the best thing about it it is after 3 hrs at the range and 100 shots it only cost about $15 awesome

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Once upon a time I took a friend of mine to the driving range. I explained to him how to address the ball, and how to do the backswing, and how to keep his eye on the ball, and how to keep his arm straight.

The he stood upright, did not put any swivel in his hips at all and swung somewhere between chopping weeds and chopping wood.

Damn ball went straight for about 300 yards. He then did the same thing four more times.

I told him, "Just forget everything I told you. Keep doing what you're doing. It works, for you".

I've always heard to put the sprue in the top center. But if you put it on the side, and get better groups that way, ignore the experts and keep doing what you're doing. It works, for you.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts
Nice shooting; nice groups, brick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts