The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to the range today and the squirrels are still eating away at the plywood on the utility bench next to the shooting bench. They are only cutting on the plywood and don't bother the pine at all. Two years ago they attacked the plywood paneling on the outside of the outhouse. Again just the plywood. I covered the area on the outhouse with hardware cloth and they have not been back but are now chewing on my table. They are working all the way around the edges of the top and the shelf. It was suggested by one of the Old Guys to get some aluminum bull nose (angle) and put that around all the edges of the plywood. One of the Old Guys also said to p*ss on it but nobody whipped it out so I guess that idea is not going to "float". Do any of you have an idea on how to keep the squirrels from chewing on the table. The table is where the guns and gear are laid out for use on the range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Spray it down(the edges) with garlic water.(crush up some garlic and add water in a spay bottle and shake it up and spray away)
And a .22 works great too.
Mike

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I would get out there with my Gamo and be eatin' squirrel Kabobs for a few days

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
its the glue used in the manufacure of the plywood..you need a oil or coating that will cover and hide the glue..most paints will not work...I have used Pine Sol to prevent the problem..soak the edges and do not rinse..reapply every time go go there..average at least once every 2 weeks...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Aluminum edging would work and look nice.

Also cyann pepper spray like what is used in gardens would help too.

Don't use those green pellets, it takes 15 days to dehydrate those little bastards. If you have an invasion, it could cost big bucks to get rid of them that way!

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. Shooting the little rascals is not an option only because the range is 50 miles form home and we are shooting while we are there so no squirrels in sight. I am only guessing that it is squirrels as I have not witnessed the action, only seen the results. If I see them I will shoot the boogers. The table is stored about three feet off the ground on the shooting bench under a roof so they had to hunt for it.

·
Banned
6,877 Posts
can u get a strip of aluminum like they use for flashing or go to junk yard they might have something

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I would not use aluminum. I work for the phone company and they do more damage to phone lines than anything else. They chew through aluminum as easily as they chew through plastic or plywood. Iron's the way to go.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
ASk your vet for some stuff they put on stitches to keep the animals from licking them. It tastes really bad so they dont want to mess with it. You could also try other stuff you have at home. Anything that tastes bitter and nasty. If it's oily it will probably stay longer. If you dont mind the discoloration, some iodine or something like that might work.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My advice would be to use a good quality of porch paint, and trim the edges with zinc galvanized plated, and slotted angle iron. Both can be bought at your local Lowes. Plywood is not made with glue as such, but with phenol-formaldehyde resin for interior sheets. Hardwood plywood used for interior applications, and in the construction of furniture, usually is made with a urea-formaldehyde resin. I used to work for Georgia Pacific!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wow, they are really doing a number on it Todd.

I had a similar problem years ago. The squirrels would jump out of my neighbor’s tree down on to the roof of a ranch house I use to own. They would then hang over the edge of the roof and chew on the fascia boards. I tried aluminum angles and they eventually tore through that. The next step was some heavy galvanized roof flashing, and I think that did the job. I said “I think” because I set live traps up on the roof, and caught about six of them in total, and transported them well away from my house.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Edging will work but they will just chew somewhere else. FEED THEM!! Seeds and nuts are cheap enough put some away from the benches for a week or so and then when they run out of food they may just go else where looking for food instead of just wood. Or then you could shoot them and have fatter squirrels to eat.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Squirrels oh yes. Two summers ago they were about driving my Jack Russel to a mental hospital. I had two live traps and set them. I caught 52 of them in 32 days and never even thined them out. I gave up. I would say that the only way to control them is to supply a generous supply of birth control pills. They multiply faster than you can shoot them or trap them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Those live traps can be entertaining!
You take them for a ride, then open the door; it's like launching Greyhounds!
They run like mad in a large semi-arc then find the nearest bush or tree to hide in. :D

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
It's a gun range .......and it has a squirrel problem.

I think the solution is obvious :D:D

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Worry not, if the little boogers ever present them selves they will become new reactive targets.

I am off to the pet store to see if they have some pepper spray, if not the garden store will be next.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Put a sign out there telling the squirrels to stop eating the plywood.;)

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just had a dose of reality. Squirrel repellent at the Home Depot is $16.00, 24 feet of melt edging would run over $50.00. I think the smart thing to do is just build another table out of pine that they don't eat and forget trying to protect the plywood on the old table which was made mostly out of scrap I had around the shop. I may have $20.00 in the original table, duh! Let'm eat all the plywood they want, maybe the formaldehyde will make them sick, ha.

DD they will probably pay as much attention to the sign as the range zombies did to the signs about using the range, ha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts