Squirrel Stew with Greens and Paprika

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by missourikid, Nov 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. missourikid

missourikid Well-Known Member

I didn" use white wine and the smoked sausage and it still turned out great. I did not have garlic in the house either, and we boiled our squirrel down instead of frying. Its a keeper for us, we even froze some to have later. It makes a great alternative to fried squirrel.
    Scan0020001.jpg

2. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That doesn't sound like it would be too bad, but I think the flavor of the squirrel would be hid beneath all the other flavors. I'll stick to my squirrel and dumplings. Easy to prepare, and it tastes great!

Ingredients

• 3 squirrels
    • Water
    • Salt, black pepper
    • Dumplings (recipe below)
    Directions

Place the squirrels in a large pot, then add enough water to barely cover the squirrel pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until the meat is tender and almost falling from the bones. Add dumplings, add a white roux to thicken, cook until dumplings are done.

Dumplings can be made from scratch, bought from the store, or, use canned biscuits, pinched off pieces rolled in flour, or even flour tortillas cut, or torn, into small pieces.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    rawright54 likes this.

3. missourikid

It does have some heat but I was able to taste the squirrel just fine but I usually don't eat much squirrel since there is 3 of us that eat it.

4. carver

I like the heat! But the wife don't! Squirrels are easy to come by, and fun to hunt, so eat up, and enjoy! I have all the ingredients on hand, except for the white wine, and greens. I just might have to give it a try, minus the red pepper, and wine. It does sound good!

5. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

Carver, you're the first person (besides me) I've heard mention the use of white roux! Mom always told me to mix flour in cold water, then stir into the hot juices to make the gravy, but all I ever got was smaller, flour-flavored lumps. Once I learned to make gumbo, I figured out how to stop short of browning the roux, then use it for white gravies. No more lumps!:)

We don't have squirrels here, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work nicely for cottontails.

carver likes this.
  6. missourikid

. Rawright54,the squirrel can be replaced with rabbit.

7. carver

Most Cajun cooking is done with either a dark rue, or a white rue! When I use the flour/water, I use a whisk. No lumps. I use a spoon for making rue.

rawright54 likes this.
  8. rawright54

I've tried the whisk, too, with mixed results. But I know that if I puff up the flour with a little hot oil, without changing the color, the white roux will work every time, plus add a little flavor that might otherwise be missing. :)

9. rawright54

Good to know, since our squirrels are actually kangaroo rats, I think. Bunnies are plentiful, though, and not too bright.

10. missourikid

makes them easier to hunt.

rawright54 likes this.
  11. carver

That's because they are at the bottom of the food chain. The only defense is their speed. I clocked a Jack Rabbit at 35 mph with a car. You don't depend on intelligence when you are blessed with that kind of speed!

missourikid likes this.