Squirrl Soup!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 4:46:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Squirrl Soup!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, its finally "tree rat" season this weekend in my county, and I am wondering how you guys prepare your kills for the table...I've never cooked squirrl before, but I love to cook.

Preeciate it!

~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 5:05:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Squirrl Soup!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Donny
    there's only 2 kinds of squirrels young tender ones that can be fried and old one that are so damn tough a dog can't chew 'em so this is a great recipe to make the old ones tender and tasty

2 old squirrels
    1 C vinegar
    1 C water
    1/2 C flour
    1/2 t pepper
    1 t salt
    8 slices bacon diced
    1-2 onions finely chopped
    2 T parsley (more if you like)
    2 C milk
    2 T butter

cut up the squirrels and soak over night in vinegar/water drain squirrels and discard liquid, combine flour/salt/pepper (other seasonings as you like), fry bacon in a skillet put in casserole, dredge squirrels in flour and fry lightly in bacon grease over medium heat, remove and add to casserole, drain grease add onions/parsley to skillet lightly saute add to casserole, put the milk and butter in the casserole and bake in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours, serve with whatever you like

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/29/02 6:06:23 pm)
    YUK, even old squirrels deserve better.......and ain`t it sposed to be stew, anyway??? Mines in da freezer (stew) from October, no second season hunter here......NASTY. LTS
    T.F.F.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 6:34:38 pm)
    Thanks Fredneck!

LTS: Naww, that was just my title, I'll take any recipie you guys got And whats wrong with the second go around on squirrl? It's still cool out...A little bit

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/29/02 7:37:26 pm)
    High 80`s ain`t close to cool for me humpin in the bottoms of East Texas......let alone those flying bottom blood suckers. Man are they potent this year with all the rain, you are a braver soul than I. But I`ll give you our camp starting stew for October camp......some like it hot!

(10) squirrels
    (1) small chicken.....cottontail bunny can replace chicken, but don`t save the rabbit stock.....use chicken stock cubes (10)

(10) large "fresh" japalenos.... ruff diced...."seeds and all"
    (2) bottle`s Tabasco (8 ozer)
    (1lb) Fresh Green Chili`s
    (2) large cans Rotel maters
    (2) large cans.. canned whole maters
    (5lbs) potatoes, peeled and cubed
    (6) ears of fresh corn....or canned.....clean the fresh corn, course.
    (2lbs) fresh green beans (Snaps)
    (1) bag carrots, stew cut (chunks)

Start with the chicken (easy)
    Throw chicken in pressure cooker, fill with water.....once heat has been reached and the cooker rattles.... "Cook 1 hour"
    Remove top and cool, drain stock and save. Let chicken cool and debone completely......place to the side.

Squirrels (SKIN`EM)
    Place whole cleaned squirrels to the side, when all are cleaned. Take a large pan (square/rectangle) and fill half way with water......add half a box of table salt and disolve in the pan. Place cleaned squirrels in salted water (must cover the squirrels with the water) let them sit for 30 minutes [ this will cut the left over blood and hair off ]. Dump water and rinse squirrels completely with fresh water.

Chuck squirrels in pressure cooker and do the same as the chicken, but "do not" save the stock.

"NOTE TO ROOKIE`S"
    If you use a shotgun, please use 4`s or 6`s or your going to have to shake the small shot out, as it is not meant for consumption or TEETH!!! Big shot normally passes thru.

Combine chicken stock and all ingredients in large stew pot and cover. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat (simmer) and recover. Do not add any more water than is needed to cover ingredients with the chicken stock and water combined. Stew is THICK....RIGHT?? Cook for about one hour or until veggies are tender.....stir every now and again to prevent scorching (if it does burn the bottom, do not stir all the way down) (your liking) Second day is always best, just like anything else. Time to meld...

Reduce accordingly for light eaters.....we cook two batches and freeze the rest in one quart bags (doubled) serves two when thawed. Have it anytime.

Serve with Tabasco sauce, fresh japaleno`s, crackers and sharp chedar cheese..........AND COLD BEER!!! course.

opps, fresh cornbread can substitute crackers ALWAYS!! just some extra cooking time......no problem, right? the ovens round here somewhere......

SALUTE!!!!!!

T.F.F.

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 4/29/02 8:42:39 pm

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 8:29:55 pm)
    And some LOVE it hot! Thanks Bro...Keep 'em comming...It seems I'll have little competition this year.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/29/02 8:47:09 pm)
    Now fryers are the best, young and tender.....squirrels that is.
    T.F.F.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/30/02 10:10:47 am)
    if you're not looking to feed an army or puritans try this one it's a one pan wonder so a dutch oven/campfire works as well as the stove/oven

2 squirrels cut up
    beer or wine (half drank works too just strain out the bugs)
    1 C flour
    2 heaping T chili powder
    1-2 heaping T ground cayenne pepper
    1 heaping T black pepper
    2 t salt
    garlic and onion chopped (use your taste)
    1/4 C oil
    1 C water
    1 C whiskey

cover the squirells with beer/wine soak overnight drain and discard liquid combine dry ingredients and coat squirells, using a dutch oven fry squirells in oil till golden brown add onion garlic and liquids transfer to hot oven cook till it thickens 1-2 hours

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/30/02 4:31:40 pm)
    Thanks Fred...These will work great. I dont mind "overcooking" because I love to cook and I have a nice little deep freeze for what I dont eat.

Thanks again guys.