The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it to the range this morning to shoot the new SR1911. Before I went to the pistol range, I took a couple of rifles to shoot. I am fire lapping my Ruger American Rifle in .308 and I also took an old 1909 Argentine Mauser in 7.65X54. I fired both of these rifles a 50 yards.

I fired the .308 first, I loaded up the last of the fire lapping bullets (compound #5). Since this is a new rifle I am only using 5 shots of each compound. I was going to just shoot them off into the distant 400 yard line but changed my mind and shot at the 50 yard target that I set up for the Mauser. This is that target, the first four shots were in the X ring, in one ragged hole. I guess I jerked the last round which went about an inch low.

I thought the one hit at the 100 yard target was pretty bad last week with the 8mm Mauser. You ain't seen nothing yet, and that is exactly what you are going to see, nothing. After I shot the .308, I used the same target and shot that 1909 Argentine Mauser at it. Look closely at the above target and count all 10 of the rounds I shot at it. NADA! - NOTHING! - ZIP! - ZERO!

I decided I had better go over to the pistol range and shoot the 1911 a little bit. I put a total of 110 rounds through it today. I first set up my target stand near the 50 yard burm and first fired 185 grain round nose bullets. I shot 7 rounds at 5 yards(A), 10 yards(B), 15 yards(C), and 25 yards(D). Did pretty bad on the 15 and 25 yards ones. Here is that target:

I intended this area be for a 200 grain target. When I was collecting ammo to take with me, I saw a blue plastic box of 100 rounds. It had a little note showing through the top that said 200 grains so I grabbed it and stuck it in my bag. After shooting the 185 grainers, I took the box of 200 grainers out oif the bag and was getting ready to load the magazine but ALAS .45 Colt cartridges just will not go in a 1911 magazine.

The first target looked so little at the 25 yard line that I went with a little bit bigger targets for the 230 grain test. You will see 200 gr written in the middle of the four targets, but don't believe that. I did worse on this larger target. I shot eight rounds at each target on this go round:

I decided to bring the target stand back up closer to the covered shooting line and just play for a while. I shot an eight round magazine into each target at a moderate rate of fire and then loaded four rounds in the mag and put two rounds very quickly into each target using the 185 grain bullets, at 7 or 8 yards:

Here is the same thing using 230 grain bullets:

And the last picture is my target stand at about 8 yards:

I apologize for the long post.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That a good post. I just puchased a new sr 1911 yesterday and was wanting to here from someone that has shot one. It'll be a few days before I get to shoot mine. Thanks for the report.

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several folks here that have them and all seem to like them. I know I like this one. I can see that it shoots a helluva lot better than I can. I didn't take a picture but I shot at the 50 yard target before I left and out of 5 rounds, three of them hit the black, and the other two hit low.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have been wanting one since they came out. This is the first one I saw at a descent price.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
That is nice George. That is also fantastic shooting with the Mauser putting 10 rounds through the same hole the American made.;)
Just curious has to how you would compare the strength of the recoil spring on your SR1911 with those on your other 1911. Because of reduce strength in my hands I have put reduced power springs in my SR1911 and that has solved my problem.
I am embarrassed to let people see me try to hit the target at 50 yards any more :eek:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought myself that all of the Mauser went through that hole but I didn't want to brag. :eek: :D

I couldn't tell much difference but only took the SR on this trip. Next time I shoot I will take a few 1911s and see if I can tell any difference in them. I never thought of shooting off of a sandbag so I will also try that at 25 yards, next time. Maybe I will do better while seated and supported.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I shoot seated in I think what American Leader or GarryDude called the Old Guy Seated Shooting (OGSSP) position but it is off hand.
DSCF0005.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts