The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,096 Posts
I can't get a close-up look because I'm using my cellphone but the poly tipped bullet looks like a T/C muzzle loading bullet minus the sabot. If the others have a canelure then they are for revolver. Where did you acquire these bullets?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought these in a package deal. Dillon press, about 10,000 bullets, 15k primers, 12lbs powder, scale, tumbler,calipers,books and alot of other goodies. ($1000.00!) Also have 1000 bullets that are RNL 230g 45 cal. So you would not load these copper plated bullets for a ACP?

·
Registered
603 Posts
That's a Hornady bullet they offered for the muzzleloader some years ago. I would not use them.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I bought these in a package deal. Dillon press, about 10,000 bullets, 15k primers, 12lbs powder, scale, tumbler,calipers,books and alot of other goodies. ($1000.00!) Also have 1000 bullets that are RNL 230g 45 cal. So you would not load these copper plated bullets for a ACP?

What's the diameter of these bullets? 45 ACP should be .451.

I would not load them in a 45 as I know little to nothing about them. Look at the base, you can see the protruding dart designed to hold the plastic base.

If they are indeed Powerbelt ML bullets they sell for over a buck a piece. find the rest of the pieces and sell to some that has a Muzzle Loader.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If they're solid copper (not plated), then they are PowerBelts...minus the tip and wad. A friend has used them in his .50cal muzzleloader (.50s are green though, not yellow).
PowerBelts are a pure solid copper bullet like the Barnes X/TSX bullets and are a premium bullet (if they're complete that is. :))
Even if the diameter is correct, because of the solid copper construction I wouldn't fire them through a .45ACP using standard jacketed or cast/plated bullet data. Use pure copper-solid data for those bullets if you do try em.

If they're jacketed/plated lead core, then they could very well be Hornady...MonoFlex I think is what that old line was called. IIRC, those had red tips and bases instead of yellow. Red is usually Hornady's signature color.

Also, they're muzzleloader bullets and are probably designed to expand at roughly 2000fps. They won't expand at all at .45ACP velocities.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I will not load them, either scrap them for the copper or try to buy the top and bottoms, then sell them and buy 45 or 40 bullets. Any one here interested? Thanks again!!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts