The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one friend that has been wanting to get a pistol for quite some time and has never got around to it. He's a disabled vet(still trying to get his leg healed) and just can not ever seem to get it together(his wife helps with that, but that is another story.) Another friend of mine has an SR40 he wants to get rid of. He is asking about 400 for it with ~150 rounds of ammo and a holster. Is this a good deal and what are yall's thoughts on this gun? I'm tempted to buy it and hold it for him if he is interested and cant afford it. I dont like polymer or even striker fired pistols, but if I kept it it would be a cheap beater/throwaway gun.

I've seen some good reviews of the sr9c but dont know the value on this gun or if it is good or not.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Country, I have a SR9C and love it. The .40 should me the same gun with a hair more kick.

I'll bet if you go out and test fire the SR40C you might want it for yourself.

In short, try to arrange a test-firing situation with your buddy and I'm sure he will appreciate this gun.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's in San antone for a while still going to the hospital down there, so we dont get much time to do much these days. I sent him a text and he is going to look into the pistol to see if he might like it. I dont think this is a compact. I'll have to double check. He has been looking at xd's and glocks, and from what I have read this seems to be something people that look at those tend to like. It has a safety, I believe, which he wants as added protection with the kids around. So I think he will like it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just to satisfy your curiosity, stop by a local gun store and handle a SR9C or SR40C. For me it's a compact that you can comfortably shoot.

My son has a Glock 26 9mm which is supposed to be a compact and it's not much smaller than my SR9C but it recoils a lot harder than the Ruger.

If I don't want a smaller 9mm I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go smaller in a .40.

Like I said, handle a SR9C or SR40C and even better, maybe a range has one you can try.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I would say that if its in good shape, its worth 400 with the ammo and holster.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a SR40 I paid $400 for new. I chose it over the "c" mainly because of sighting radius. I keep it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster and surprisingly the rig hangs only 1/2" lower than a .38 snub I carry in a similar Simply Rugged pancake..... considerably heavier however.

Recoil is not harsh, sort of a nudge instead of a kick. Never a fail to fire or feed. Its accurate, everything hitting inside the 9 ring at 10 yards. All of the negatives are plastic, its hard for me to accept plastic guns.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
My best friend got one of the early SR9's and he brings it to the range frequently. When new it had a horrendously heavy trigger pull. The heaviest of any semi auto I have ever fired. We all complained about that and he sent it back to Ruger. Don't know what they did but it was much better when he got it back and it has improved a lot as he has shot it. No real complaint about the trigger now. Otherwise the pistol has performed just fine and not a single malfunction. Try the trigger on the one you are looking at and see if it is acceptable to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts