Stainless or Parkerized

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Leper65
    (2/8/02 12:06:57 pm)
    Reply Stainless or Parkerized
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm going to be buying a Springfield or Kimber in the near future, and was wondering about the durability of the Parkerized finish (or Kimber equivilant). Would I be better off going with SS ? Will just be puching paper for the most part...lots of it though.

thanks

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/02 12:17:03 pm)
    Reply Re: Stainless or Parkerized
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Leper, I have the Kimber in Stainless just never cared for the holster wear on the blued ones. Of coure Parkerized is definately more durable than the blued but my personal choice has been stainless.
    cointoss2

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/02 5:27:28 pm)
    I have heard that the parkerized still wears kind badly. I have always opted for stainless.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:12:35 pm)
    Welcome Leper.....glad you stopped by. Hope you'll stick around....lots of good info here.

My personal preference is for parkerized....mainly because I don't care for shiny guns. But, if that doesn't bother you, stainless is probably more care free.

Leper65
    (2/9/02 5:33:17 pm)
    Thanks for your thoughts, I'm leaning towards the stainless I guess, its only about a $30 difference. Worn down bluing always depresses me...

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/02 2:05:05 am)
    my $.02 - never liked stainless, only stainless I've liked was the shotgun on an acquaintence's deep-sea charter fishing boat

I'm partial to Parkerized, think it's 'G.I.'.

Course, it does wear after 17yrs...

(shrug) just me, think of most of my firearms as 'tools', not for show, so I'm not really into pretty finishes.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/02 7:51:27 am)
    Leper65, It's truely a personal preferance. No matter what finish you choose, the weapon needs to be properly maintained inside and out.
    My personal observation is that the parkerized is less durable than the blue. Then again, it's all in how you handle and maintain it.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/02 11:24:55 am)
    Welcome aboard Leper. If your interested in a Kember, check with one of our resident experts and FFL dealers AntiqueDr. he sells Kimbers and he may be able to help you out on your specific needs!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/13/02 11:12:42 pm)
    Re: Stainless or Parkerized
    My personal choice is parkerized, them derned stainless boogers are heavy to haul around. I don't care for shiny
    guns either. Besides, a little wear on a black gun adds character.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere