The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I recently purchased a S&W .460V. This thing is (literally) a blast to shoot. Have had a lot of fun shooting .45LC loads as well as the stump thumping full bore .460's. My problem is the cleaning, the muzzle break looks like I'm shooting black powder, the rest of this 5 lb. monster is coated with burnt smokeless.
My buddies at the range harassed me until I cleaned it, Hoppes #9, Ed's Red, toothbrushes, q-tips endlessly. Two hours later I had a "reasonably" clean gun.
My question, can you clean the entire gun (less grips) in an ultrasonic ? If so are there precautions other than careful drying and lubricating ? If an ultrasonic is not the answer, any other hints.
Thanks a bunch,
Dogpatch.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Call the S&W manufacturer and speak to their tech support. I'd call on different days to speak to more than one person so you can avoid the off the top of their head responses.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I suggest you not sonicate the entire firearm. Sonication is great to clean separated parts, of particular concern are the sights. I don't sonicate the sights, ever. The concern is the rubbing together of the mated parts and also completely removing the sonication fluid once cleaned. You could remove the compensator and sonicate it successfully. One guy elsewhere suggested to wipe down the firearm while it's still warm.

BTW Dogpatch, congrats on that 460. That baby is on "The List"! Which model do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-Nevr-Dull-Wadding-Restoration/dp/B000CNBI1A

Used by the janitorial industry and our armed forces, Nevr-Dull® wadding polish takes the work out of polishing by instantly removing tarnish and dirt from all metal surfaces including silver, gold, brass, copper, pewter, steel, and chromium. ... Nevr-Dull polish will not scratch or corrode and leaves no residue behind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest you not sonicate the entire firearm. Sonication is great to clean separated parts, of particular concern are the sights. I don't sonicate the sights, ever. The concern is the rubbing together of the mated parts and also completely removing the sonication fluid once cleaned. You could remove the compensator and sonicate it successfully. One guy elsewhere suggested to wipe down the firearm while it's still warm.

BTW Dogpatch, congrats on that 460. That baby is on "The List"! Which model do you have?
sparkyv,
Thanks for the advice. My model is the 5" It is truly a blast to shoot, hot .45LC loads feel like .38 wadcutters. Full bore .460's are a big push. Be prepared for attention at the range, two of my friends who tried it will be ordering soon.
Good Shootin'
Dogpatch

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
sparkyv,
Thanks for the advice. My model is the 5" It is truly a blast to shoot, hot .45LC loads feel like .38 wadcutters. Full bore .460's are a big push. Be prepared for attention at the range, two of my friends who tried it will be ordering soon.
Good Shootin'
Dogpatch
Cool. I've been eyeballing the 8.4" model. Saving up for it plus all the reloading accoutrements.

·
Super Moderator
43,878 Posts
The .460 is the most painful gun I have ever fired. A friend owned one and one day at the range he "allowed" me shoot it. First round was with .45 Colt, nice easy shooting. The second round was with a .454 Casull, had a little kick to but was manageable. The last round was with the full blown .460, when it let go, I screamed like a little girl because of the pain. I will never ever shoot another one anda if someone were to offer me a .500, I would laugh at them the way my "friend" laughed at me on that third round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts