The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the value of a stainless Universal M-1 carbine with a Choate folding stock, 1 15 rd gi mag and 1 30 rd stainless mag. Front and rear sights are not stainless. Serial # SS2084 ? I have had this carbine for 20 years and am considering selling/trading it. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Universals were not made in stainless, TMK. They were made in nickel plate. Only the late Iver Johnson carbines were made in stainless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, It sure fools me, as I have never seen nickel look so much like stainless and I was told that the SS prefix on the serial number meant stainless. I guess I just keep on learning as I go. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Actualy, they were made in stainless in addition to blue, nickel, and electroplated gold. However, very few were made and they are exceptionally scarce. The Blue Book lists one in 100% condition as worth $475, but I think this is far too low for such a scarce item. I would estimate at least a value of $700. The first thing I would do is find an ordinary Universal with an original Birch stock and switch the wood stock to the stainless version so as to restore it to collectible condition. And yes, the SS designation does prove it is stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The last Universals were made when Iver Johnson owned Universal, so I guess it's possible. My stainless IJ Enforcer pistol S/N starts with BS.
Can you post a picture of the gun?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I do not own a stainless version (I wish I did). I have only seen one of them many years ago, and did not take note of the serial number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having problems w/ phone camera and photo transfer to computer. Here is one pic anyway. Will try to resolve issues and post more.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts