standard range for handguns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 38 special, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I never shot at an NRA or police range. What are standard range distances for 1. snub nose revolovers (detective special type)
    2. 4inch or 6 inch barrel revolovers in 357 mag
    3. 4 or 6 inch revolvers in 44 mag

I have found that snubbies shoot close to same point of impact at 3,7, and 15 yards Is 15 yards a standard distance?
    I sight in 357 mags 4 or 6 inch barrel at somewhere between 20 and 30 yards
    For 44 mag I sight in at 30 yards

Just curious if these distances are typical for sighting in adjustable sight revolvers

2. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

sound like reasonable ranges for the calibers...

personally, i shoot my ruger sp101 (.357) in the fashion of:
    2 rounds, right hand only, 3 yards
    2 rounds, left hand only, 3 yards
    1 round, both hands, 3 yards
    2 rounds, right only, 7 yards
    2 rounds, left only, 7 yards
    1 round, both, 7 yards
    2 rounds, right only, 10 yards
    2 rounds, left only, 10 yards
    1 round, both, 10 yards

may only be 15 rounds, but hey-it's 357 out of a 2" barrel-not the most pleasant to shoot.

i figure, practiclly, i'm not shooting a revolver (especially 357 out of a 2" barrel) much past 10 yards unless longer barrel and higher cal, kind of like for hunting

3. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I do most of my practice at 15, 20 and 25 yards.

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I think that you are good to go with the ranges you have picked out, with one exception. 15 yds. with a snubie is pushing it a little, unless you and your gun can really shoot, and hit at that distance. I have owned snubies that would do the job at 45 yds., and I have owned snubies that weren't practical beyond 20'. I do all of my SD practice at 7yds., 21'. I target shoot at distances of up to 100yds, with hand guns, open sights.

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't own any snubbies (except the North American Arms I just bought) so I mostly shoot at 15 and 25 yards. I really like to shoot at the "gong" down at the 50 yard line. When I take my NAA out, I will probably be lucky to hit the target at 3 or 7 yards.

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I always found sighting handguns really enjoyable. From my point of view the first question was target shooting or defense? If target shooting, 25 yards seemed the norm for point of impact. That is to say the bullet falls where the sights are set. Defence is something else, and I think that depends on other factors such as what are your surroundings? I think whatever you set your point of impact at you just need, via practice, to know where your shots will fall at various ranges.

7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

When I had my .380 Makarov, I fired a round towards a 100yrd target we set up for my mosin and hit dead space between my target and the target for a guy next to me. The space between the targets seemed to be about 5-7' apart. But for real shooting, a handgun's target should be 10'-20-something yards. I can sometimes hit a target at 25 yards and almost all the time at 12-15yrds.

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hey Carver, you mean to tell me that neat little .22 caliber pocket knife you have is useless at 100 yds? :D, I bet if you put it in a slingshot you could hit someone with it at 100 yds;) I bet it would leave a fairly large popknot on thier skull too...:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009