The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my grandson off hand loading yesterday. We loaded up 50 rounds of .38 Special 148 grain HBWC, to use in my old Pietta 1861 Navy cartridge conversion revolver.

It took longer than usual, because I was showing him how to use the old Lee Classic Loader kit from back in the early 1960's. I got to explain to him what each step did, and why -- decapping, resizing, priming, flaring, charging, seating and crimping.

We'll probably head out to our local range to shoot them up tomorrow.
Public space Gas Human settlement Rectangle Liquid

My old cartridge conversion:
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

I guess next time, I'll upgrade him to using the hand press.
Hand tool Table Office supplies Office equipment Tool

·
GUNZILLA
8,354 Posts
I personally think that this is a great way to teach someone to hand load. I recently purchased 3 of these loaders in different caliber to teach nephew and a couple of the neighbors son to learn. I figure it is a great way to find out also if they really want to learn and have the patience to do so with less of a chance to make mistakes. Eventually I will move them to a single stage press.

·
Premium Member
20,782 Posts
Nice looking revolver. Like tedwit asked how old is he?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I started off loading rifle. Even if you are loading more powerful rounds it's harder to make a mistake. With most powders if you over load it will over flow the case.
I found out real quick loading pistol to pay close attention to what you are doing or results can be bad. Titegroup may be the smallest amount (AKA cheapest) of powder to load but that also makes the easiest to double load & the most dangerous.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We knocked out another 50 rounds this evening. He's still interested.

We're using Zero Bullets, which I understand does not sell to the public anymore. They are swaged, pure lead bullets that are coated with graphite. After handling them, my poor grandson's hands look like he's been turning wrenches on diesel engines all day.
Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Pattern

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My grandsons have all learned to run my Lee Turret and my Dillon 550B..even grand daughter Hannah likes to make her .45's, and we get to get a little range time tomorrow. Wife Judy had her right knee replaced this morning, sneaking in the range trip while Hannah is home from Nursing school....she shows her brothers how to do it, both on the press and at the range..a most disciplined shooter...she's deadly!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made a trip to the range today to burn up some of the ammo he's been helping me reload.

Shooting my 1860 Colt Navy conversion. This is what the HBWC's were for.
Green Vertebrate Natural environment Plant Outdoor recreation

Shooting his Rough Rider 22 I got him last Christmas.
Hand Vertebrate Combat pistol shooting Shorts Human

We also loaded up some 9 mm FMJ's. Here he's putting a few through the Keltec Sub-2K
Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel Trigger Precision sports

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Hannah did very well. Fired her Dad’s Glock 40 cal, my Metro Commander in .45 acp, my Kimber Micro9 and her brothers Hellcat. She has been shooting about 15 months, very focused shooter Wish I could do half as well. She's my only Grand daughter.
Clothing Smile White Vision care Eyewear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts