Starting to load black powder, need help

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by joe45c, Jan 20, 2017.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

agreed, on black powder in brass shells.. hot soapy water, then dry.. makes the shells last a hair longer.

joe45c likes this.
  2. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

For black powder cartridges I take a container of soapy water with me to the range, I drop them in right after firing them. Keeps them a lot "fresher" looking.

joe45c likes this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

More of those little "tricks of the trade" for shooting black. I do believe the sooner a fella gets the fired cases into water, whether hot and soapy or any other kind the better it is. Seems sort of obvious the less time the fouling has to work the less etching it's going to do.

For probably 25 years I never bothered with running a brush inside the cases. They looked clean after coming out of the tumbler. Then a few years ago I started using brass cases for shotshells and had a devil of a time getting the over shot cards to stay put, that is to stay glued in. Someone suggested using a brush on the inside of the case....which I didn't think necessary but, decided to try anyway...what did I have to lose? Boy did I get a surprise at how much fouling was still there. I still don't brush the inside of rifle and handgun cases but I do brass shotshell hulls. The over shot card stays a little better but I'm still not happy. Today a bottle of waterglass arrived which is what was used on the brass hulls years ago. I'll try it and hope it works as good as it did 100+ years ago. No reason it shouldn't.

joe45c likes this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Lots of new little things i'm running into in this black powder loading. Quite a few things different from smokeless.

5. Larry Grimes

Larry Grimes Active Member

I use a qt. of windshield washing fluid and drop the shells in as soon after firing as possible. When I get home I shake the container a few times then I dump the liquid and flush with water. If they are not completely clean I remove the primer and wash in hot soapy water. Since the cases are 2.6 in. and 3.25 in. they have some crud in them after fired most of it comes out in the first step. The hot bath takes the rest. I lay them out on a towel to dry after the last step. About every third reloading I run them in vib. thumb. [corn cob media]

joe45c likes this.
  6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

What kind of wax did you use or does it matter? Like wax from a candle or so?

7. soundguy

If you are talking about the lube for the grease grooves, you really don't want straight candle wax, but it can for sure be in the mix.

I usually use some beeswax, candle wax, and olive oil.

joe45c likes this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

To get going quick and easy SPG Black Powder lube is pretty darn good.

joe45c, Grizzley1 and Larry Grimes like this.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Not all candle wax is good. Some of it is petroleum based. I use beeswax and olive oil or beeswax and Crisco but never anything petroleum based.

joe45c, Grizzley1 and sharps4590 like this.
  10. soundguy

True, you really need to know what the candle is made of. We like to use palm and soy wax candles.

I make soap too, so usually have all kinds of fats on hand.

11. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thank you for the replies. I should've noted that this will be for loading brass shotgun shells for the .577/450 Martini Henry and the .577 Snider Enfield rifles. I'm going to start reloading those since I can't afford to shoot those a lot. Where is a good place to find/buy beeswax?

joe45c likes this.
  12. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

joe45c likes this.
  13. soundguy

Or find a friend that keeps bees ;)

14. Larry Grimes

Larry Grimes Active Member

A few years ago I found a crafts store that was going out of business. They had quit a it of bee's wax for candle making and the price was right so I bought all that they had. I think I still have 3 lbs. left. I mix it with Neats foot oil to make my lube for my Sharps.

DixieLandMan likes this.