The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I went to my LGS and saw they had steel 124gr hollow points for reloading. Do you use the same recipes that are in the loading manuals or do you have to have steel load data? I never seen steel bullets for reloading that's why I'm askin. They were pretty expensive too at that $30 per 100.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
jacketed steel correct?

same laod data.. though COAL may be different for similar grn projectiles due to lead to steel weight

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
AR guy:

I am going to apply some common sense to your question:

When a bullet goes down the barrel the surface of the bullet runs against the surface of the bore. If the bore is steel and the bullet is lead, there is little wear on the bore. If the bore is steel and the bullet a gilding metal jacket (copper and zinc mix, both softer than steel) or solid copper then the bore wear is still small. But when the bullet is steel and the bore is steel there might be significant wear on the bore.

I would never shoot steel jacketed bullets but I have never seen any before. A common military bullet might have a steel core covered by a lead outer core then jacketed in aluminum (significantly softer than steel) or gilding metal (common called a copper jacket). Are you sure the bullets you saw were steel or just steel cored (perhaps covered in an aluminum jacket)?? That is possible.

In the latter case they would be acceptable from a bore wear consideration but some ranges do not allow steel cored bullets on their ranges. That is because if they hit something hard they can spark and start a brush fire. I personally saw a single steel cored bullet hit a rock and start a brush fire that required a Borate bomber to put out along with several hundred firefighters. In indoor ranges with backstop made of metal the steel core upsets the surface and can cause ricochets back at the shooters. Using steel cored ammo may limit your shooting opportunities.

LDBennett

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Hey I went to my LGS and saw they had steel 124gr hollow points for reloading. Do you use the same recipes that are in the loading manuals or do you have to have steel load data? I never seen steel bullets for reloading that's why I'm askin. They were pretty expensive too at that $30 per 100.
Do you have more details on this ammo? Are you sure it was Steel Bullets and not steel cases like this Hornady Steel Match Ammo?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...acketed-hollow-point-hap-steel-case-box-of-50

·
Registered
18,034 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was made by Winchester it said sthp on the bag. It was silver. The guy I asked said it was steel. LD that makes sense the gulling effect. But that's all I know. I did not buy it cuz it was too much.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then the guy I asked was just as ignorant as me. He didn't even know. So what are they and what are they made of. Why are they so expensive.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting read steve4102. So my question is would they be considered good rounds for home defense then. And is that why they are $30 per 100 tips.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Then the guy I asked was just as ignorant as me. He didn't even know. So what are they and what are they made of. Why are they so expensive.
I never rely on sellers at shows to know anything about what they sell.

I kep mymouth shut and try to gauge what they know vs what they purport to know.

some of the biggest lies I've ever heard wear at gun shows. :)

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
if I had to guess.. I'd say nickle plated copper jackets.. or aluminum.. over a standard core.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Interesting read steve4102. So my question is would they be considered good rounds for home defense then. And is that why they are $30 per 100 tips.
Yes.
I would double check the contents of the bag before I would purchase. You said 124gr I assume 9mm. I do not see Winchester making a STHP in 9mm 124gr. Either very old, very new or mis-marked.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I'll double check and do some research on them cuz I don't think just anyone's gunna pay that much, but if they are good rounds ill pick em up. Even if thy are old, I assume they are still good. Sounds like good pounds to have on hand.

G

·
I would assume they would use a very mild soft form of steel for bullets. I highly doubt they are going to use something like VG10 steel for a bullet.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
RAJBCPA:

Lead is not outlawed in California. There are hunting areas and portions of the state where birds of prey of prey are common where lead is not allowed even for target practice. But anywhere else in the state lead is not outlawed.

Now, some indoor ranges have use rules (and have had for decades) of no exposed lead bullets. That is to reduce lead dust indoors, in general, and lead dust being exhausted outside via fans in the range building that keep the lead dust at the firing line low. That is one of the reasons Rainier and Berrys bullets are popular here, as they are totally plated in a thin copper coating to cover the lead.

On another note, steel core ammo is a cost saving thing as steel is much cheaper than lead. The core is a thin cylinder of steel and is not the same as armor piercing ammo. Some foreign surplus ammo is steel cored.

LDBennett

1 - 18 of 18 Posts