Steger model 3500 V.S. Remington Versa Max

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Yeti13, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Yeti13

Yeti13 New Member

Trying to figure out what is better for duck hunting. Looking to findo out a few diffrent things for a comparison and contrast.

Cold weather does one do better in cold than the other?
    Any one have any jamming problems or feeding problems?
    Any ejection problems?
    How is cleaning it?
    Any firming issues?
    Any plug issues? Slipping?
    Hunting in cold wet weather?
    What is recommended for hunting?

I've looked at both places and read reviews. Yes I know it comes down to who likes what brand. But I want to know any issues. I'm looking to do bird hunting. Some times its cold and rainy or snowing. Just looking for some advice. Any would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kweeksdraw and 270 Petload like this.
  2. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeti13, just offering some thoughts. I have hunted Pheasant in Iowa at 20 below zero. Yea, that's crazy but I was invited and thought nothing of it. I had a 12 gauge Belgian Browning Superposed shotgun at the time. What happened was that when firing the first barrel, the cold air would freeze the trigger and I could not take the second shot. Good old GI trick of urination took care of the problem. At temperatures like 20 below ALL the rules are changed and nothing is going to work the way we expect. Situations like that are where the brand and reputation of the shotgun that we use really separate the really good from the riff-raff. Pardon the babbling but the point is if you want a weapon that works as it should under a variety of conditions then get the weapon that is known to work under the greater variety of conditions. That also means you will likely have to pay more for that reliability. Some of todays shotguns come with mechanical triggers which SHOULD fire under ANY condition. A Remington 870 might do what you want and is not expensive in the normal scheme of things; easy to clean, easy to maintain, relatively inexpensive to repair, parts readily available. I happen to have a fondness for Brownings; 725 to be exact.

Yeti13 likes this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Steger model 3500 is made in Turkey. That's all I would need to know.

Yeti13 likes this.
  4. Yeti13

Yeti13 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I was just wondering if any one had any issues with there gun of either brand. I might have to look in to browning.

5. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

And Welcome from Hood County Texas
    use for forum.jpg

dbcooper and Yeti13 like this.
  6. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeti13, what I said was NOT intended to change your mind about a particular shotgun you might have in mind. Please remember that. I was just sharing real world experiences. When living in Iowa I had many subzero experiences while hunting Pheasants. While they were cold experiences, I would not trade them for anything. Good luck with your decision making.

Kweeksdraw and Yeti13 like this.
  7. randyj

randyj Active Member

I have a friend who has the 3500 and it works every time, recoil is very manageable and it shoots very good patterns....I have one of the TriStar Magnums that I use for ducks and geese....for $450 I would put it up against anything....recoil even with 3.5's is about like a pump with 2 3/4's.....patterns well and works everytime you pull the trigger....

270 Petload likes this.