The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopeful that the experts on here can help me with a little restore project I've started. I inherited several rifles via the passing of my grandfather, then my father. I started with a little bolt action single shot 22.
Its a Stevens 15-A and have reblued and refinished the stock. The one mistake I made was not test firing before I started the project. Nevertheless, I would like to get this little gun in working order so I can teach my 6 and 8 year olds on this rifle.

Here's my issue. It seems to be a problem with the striker and/or firing pin, but I am not sure. When trying to shoot I do see a small impression on the bullet casing, but it does not fire. I've looked all over online trying to research this problem and instructions on how to disassemble the bolt to see if I can fix it. I am trying to remove the extractor and firing pin from the bolt body to see if there is an internal problem, but can’t figure it out. Can someone tell my how to disassemble this part of the bolt?

I've included pictures of the bolt (disassembled to the extent that I've been able to). I am also suspecting that there may be a problem with the striker. In examining the parts I see a small abnormal impression in (see red circle on 3rd picture) the metal. Could this be causing the gun not to fire? Could the mainspring be broken? How do I remove the mainspring to see if it might be broken?

Also am I missing any missing parts to the bolt that would be causing the gun to not fire?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
without knowing if it fired before its a little harder to figure out whats going on. could be human error or mechanical issues. Best thing to do right now it reassemble the bolt and see how close the firing pin is to protruding out the breech face. with a single shot were you pull on the cocking piece after loading the firing pin should not protrude but be really close. if its way back then the firing pin is either worn or the cocking piece is not inserted properly. These are inertia driven firing pins and too much travel can do what your experiencing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helix, I will reassemble the bolt and take a couple if pictures to provide more detail/insight.

Fatstrat, you mention the mainspring Part #19. If the mainspring is in the striker, it is there. During testing, I''ve been able to cock it and and fire and the spring feels strong, but I don't know how to disassemble the striker to see if the spring has a problem. Any idea how to remove the spring from the striker?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am back with a bit more information. I've reassembled the bolt and replaced in the gun. I am still not seeing how the striker applies enough force to fire a round. I removed the bolt and decided to shoot a quick little video to show the function (or lacktherof). Link below. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts0CO0o-qFQ

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue with an old stevens 65, the one before the 66, not the one in the 70's with a clip. I ended up taking a ball peen hammer and peening the firing pin out a little and walla done. My main spring was also broke, so I brought it to the hardware store, found one the same size and close to the coil tightness and paid 2 cents for it. It installed right behind the cap at the end. Have you checked Numrich to see if they have a diagram? Usually you need a bunch of punch pins. I made one from a tent stake and ground it down. Had to soak everything in knock er loose but it all came apart. Be careful cause you don't know where the springs and little parts are. Now I had to do this in a wheelchair for the most part, so it took me a long time to get it. But, it should be easy to find where the firing pin is. Check Numrich for sure. I had to look at a model 66 cause that's what I thought mine was till the good folks at rimfire central told me it was a 65, made for 1 year. GOOD LUCK! Remember, take a break when you get frustrated, and go SLOW!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you sure the firing pin is the right way? You would think something has to let the firing pin go out and in when it's being cocked. It also looked like in the pic your striker pin was too low for the firing pin. Check numrich, that's gunparts.com and look at every part listed, and see if you have it, also, there should be little pins you have to hammer out or it's threaded. Soak it in wd 40 or knock er loose and wait, then find a good vise and clamp it with something so it doesn't marr it, and unscrew the black cap. If it needed a pin, it would be listed on numrich. That's a good way to look at the part, and see if it comes apart, or if it's solid, and if it's secured by a pin, or threaded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the black cap definitely unscrews. it has a retaining washer. How about the sear? It looks like the firing pin has a square cut out on the bottom to attatch to something I assume.

·
Registered
30 Posts
THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WITH THE PARTS NEEDED INCLUDED, WHICH ARE ALL AVAILABLE FROM NUMRICH.
[/URL][/IMG] THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT WITH PART NUMBERS:
Bolt Assembly - -

This Bolt Assy includes Bolt Body & Handle (#103950), Cocking Piece (#103870), Collar/Washer (#173180), Extractor (#103810), Firing Pin (#104020), Mainspring (#104000), Mainspring Retaining Bolt (#103790), Rebound Collar (#103910), Striker (#103930)

This is a reproduction blued steel bolt. Minor final fitting required. Also fits store brand copies marked Belknap, Coast to Coast & Revelation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It definitely looks like you are missing a part. Look at numrich and compare them to what you have. If all else fails, I will give you 30 bucks for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the black cap definitely unscrews. it has a retaining washer. How about the sear? It looks like the firing pin has a square cut out on the bottom to attatch to something I assume.
Thanks for the insight and suggestions... I was able to remove the striker cap. Took a bit of force, but I was able to remove it. The mainspring isn't broken and appears to be in good shape. I compared all of my parts against the picture and part inventory you provided and it looks like I have all of the pieces. I am still stumped... I think I'll give Numrich a call and see if they can get me a replacement striker. Now that I've got this all taken apart, I am beginning to think the issue is with the impression in the metal on the stirker which is not fully engaging the firing pin. (see my earlier post with picture of the striker). I'll take a couple more pics and post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I watched your video. your firing pin seems to be inserted upside down
Thanks for the insight and suggestions. I guess it could be... I've never removed it. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to remove the extractor and firing pin from the bolt barrel. I'd like to get them out to verify that I don't have any issues with the pin. If I can figure out how to remove it I'd flip it to see if that's my problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.... I was able to successfully tear down the entire bolt by removing the cap from the striker to gain access to the mainspring, rebound collar and mainspring washer. I was also able to remove the extractor and firing pin from the bolt body. Just needed to drive the extractor out using a punch.

It tuns out that the firing pin can only be installed one way due to the notch... So it was installed correctly.

There was a lot of dirt and grime, so I cleaned it up really good. I was feeling pretty good that this little gun may shoot again, but then... UGH! As I was reinstalling the mainspring retaining bolt I overtighened it and SNAP! CRAP! Now I need to order a replacement from Numerich. Thanks for pointing me to that sight. As long as I can extract the broken portion of the bolt, I should be able to get it back together.

In hopes of helping someone else, I've included a picture of the entire bolt disassembled.

Thanks all for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
OK Yeah that picture is way better. I looked as if the tip was flipped in the video. Gunk will definably cause a light strike

·
Registered
490 Posts
mj... I have a Model 15 ( No A, B, or C).. back when I acquired it, had no bolt so I ordered one from Numrich..
Here is a pic of the bolt that I got from Numrich Years back...
I also had the problem of it firing a few times and then not wanting to fire... I figured ammo... tried different brands... same, it was like playing roulette with a bolt action!
I noticed my pin was sticky in its slot.. even after cleaning it with solvent. So..
My fix.. and it still fails to fire some times but not so much... was to take the firing "blade" pin... and honed it down a bit on some 300 and finer paper.... I was hoping making it .001" to .002" thinner would make it slide a bit easier in its slot. (but the slot isn't that smooth). I also have noticed that the bolt has 2 light "detents" that keep the blade in the bolt.... I have yet to modify those... those keep the pin from falling out of the bolt when its removed from the barrel/receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Shawn. Numrich has the mainspring bolt. I just need to remove the broken piece of the original from the bolt body. Any tips on removal would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You might also have a worn tip in your firing pin. Sometimes you can "peen" it to lengthen it a tad. Place the firing pin flat on clean flat steel surface. And with moderate force, tap the striker tip with a hammer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have noticed that the rim striking side (thin) is a tad bit shorter than the side that sits flush with the bolt body (wide). I never thought of "lengthening " it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts