The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No interesting old Remington rifles at the gun show so I came home with a Stevens 5100 410 SXS shotgun. It has a plastic stock, no s/n, can’t read date code on bottom of receiver, case color gone. Price was right, now I want to shoot it.

I’m new to shotguns hope someone can educate me. Left barrel is marked 3-inch chamber, can I also shoot the 2 ½-inch shells? Also, what is a good general plinking load?

I've seen pictures of a 5100 taken down but have no idea how to disassemble for a well-deserved cleaning.

Any and all help appreciated, slams accepted graciously.

· Registered
98 Posts
Yes, as the gun is factory marked as being chambered for the 3" 410 case; it is safe to shoot 3" shells provided barrel bores remain in sound condition. As to disassembly, I'll leave that to someone who has in fact taken a Stevens 5100 apart.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. I was pretty sure I could shoot the 2 1/2 shells. As for disassembly, after reading a few other posts I'm not going to touch it. The barrel is difficult to open so i'm hoping some No. 9 can remove some of the gunk and a little Rem Oil make it smoother.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I bought an old Stevens break open single shot .410 for cheap awhile back that was difficult to get the action open. And once open, hard to close. Took the barrel off, then the buttstock. Sprayed a good solvent (CLP Breakfree) all inside the receiver from every opening and let it soak awhile. Then blew it out w/compressed air. The crud that came out was incredible. Repeated about 3 times until no more crud coming out. Put it back together and it was like new.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thaks Hawg. I believe mine is pre-1942 because it doesn't have the Savage name on the barrel. It could be pre-1941 when the 311 model number was added to "some" shotguns. This one has only the 5100 designation.

I'm still researching the Tenite stock. There seems to be a lot of opinions about models with plastic or wood stocks. Some say the plastic is original and probably adds to the gun's value.

I'm tired of doing research, I want to shot it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Fatstrat. Sounds like I have the same problem you had. I'll pick up some Breakfree and give it a shot.

The indoor range where I shoot permits shooting shotguns with Double-Aught buckshot or slugs. I expect my barrels are full choke; it is recommended to shoot slugs in those barrels?

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Thanks Fatstrat. Sounds like I have the same problem you had. I'll pick up some Breakfree and give it a shot.

The indoor range where I shoot permits shooting shotguns with Double-Aught buckshot or slugs. I expect my barrels are full choke; it is recommended to shoot slugs in those barrels?
I won't say that you can't shoot slugs through it. I will say that I wouldn't. Just my instinct.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kind of had a feeling slugs might not be a good idea.

Just got back from the range where I shot a box Federal 410 Handgun ammo. It was fun to shoot and I even doubled off both barrels a couple of times. Impressive what those five pellets of 000 buckshot do to a paper target at about 10 yards.

This old Stevens is a keeper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.