The Firearms Forum banner

Stevens Armory Model 414 Target Rifle

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris O 
#1 ·
A friend of mine at the gun club said he was going to scrap this rifle. He got it a number of years ago as a project rifle and has not been able to do anything with it. Bubba tried to make this a take down rifle. The threads on the barrel and on the action have been chewed up from repeated abuse. The extractor has apparently been bent or the loading ramp has been filed away some to accomodate the badly adjusted barrel.

Question: Is this repairable?

We have been checking into possible gunsmiths over here.
He did not give me a picture of the entire rifle assembled, but I can get more pictures if we need specific information.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Alloy wheel Carbon
Wood Material property Gas Musical instrument Metal
Glove Automotive tire Wood Plant Bumper
Wood Tool Luggage and bags Rectangle Gas
Automotive tire Door Wood Gas Tints and shades

String instrument Wood Door String instrument Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Gas
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bicycle part
Plant Wood Grass Gas Automotive tire
Horse Sculpture Wood Working animal Art

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple more pics.

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Wood Plant Automotive exterior
Plant Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Wood Vehicle

Reactions: One Shot
#15 ·
Hi TRAP55 I'm Chris - with the Stevens Armoury Model 414 for disposal.
(My first ever forum post attempt, never been on one before. Think I should have read the instructions, but here goes without…)

So Trap55, Joking apart, if you want to pick up the bill for exporting the rifle 'home' from the UK, you would be welcome to it.

I spoke to an experienced firearms exporter over here, and to get a firm cost to export it he would need the US arrival airport details, and you would need a 'Form 6' import license (I think it is…).
The only issue would be the realistic cost. He recons to export it would be in the region of 400 GBP which is ~$555 US.
That doesn't look financially viable to me, and I'm sure his estimate is realistic.

To clarify, the rifle is fitted with period claw mount bases, but I do not have the associated rings.
The beat-up leather box-case I received it in does not fit the rifle (won't even nearly close), which is bizarre as it has clearly been kept in it, so I'd not propose to send you that.
I got the rifle from a dealer acquaintance of mine who knows I used to be a gunsmith myself, and - if I still had a workshop - I could have restored it safely. It would not be sale-able to a general user over here, as it is.
Let me know if you (first call) think it would work for you and we can communicate further off-line.
Best,
Chris O.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for getting back, guys.

He said he has the claw mounts, but I don't recall anything about a scope.

#6 ·
If he has the scope rings that go to those claw mounts, that's half the battle. You, or he, can always find a scope that will fit the rings, the claw rings would have to be custom made for those bases.

Gotta agree with Trapp, that rifle is well worth saving, they just don't make them like that anymore.

#10 ·
Just got some email feedback from my friend.

Thanks for the update. I was able to see the guys responses.

Having seen these rifles for sale over the pond during research, I recon its a rifle that would be worth paying to have repaired, over there.

I'm not sure it would sell in the UK so well, but if its possible to export it, Trap55 can send a courier over, and its his!

I don't have the matching claw scope rings for the rifle, but do have the original Lyman tang-mounted peep sight.

I fear it'd be a total pain to do an export, but perhaps some UK enthusiasts may come out the woodwork. Maybe an on-line advert in Guntrader or wherever would be worth it.

I certainly dont WANT to see it scrapped!

#14 ·
Just got a call from the guy who owns the gun. He wants to explore shipping it over to the UK. He will join TFF so he can talk directly with you, instead of trying to let me get things mixed up.

Reactions: crystalphoto
#16 ·
Welcome to TFF, Chris O.
Glad you made it onboard. Nose around the other sections of the forum; you'll find plenty of interesting things.

I do hope someone can save this from being scrapped, because that's the only other route Chris sees just now.

#17 ·
Chris, welcome to TFF!
I truly appreciate the offer, and would love to add that one to the arsenal. Unfortunately, my "wants", far exceed the capacity of my piggy bank, or I would be all over that! After checking into the fees and taxes of importing firearms to the US, I appreciate even more my Remington 341P that went to the UK, and ended up back here, because I didn't get the bill for that. I don't know who did, but they lost money on that rifle!
I sure hope you find an alternative to scrapping that rifle, that truly would be a shame. They don't make them like that anymore, and they didn't make many when they did.

#18 ·
Chris, welcome to TFF!
I truly appreciate the offer, and would love to add that one to the arsenal. Unfortunately, my "wants", far exceed the capacity of my piggy bank, or I would be all over that! After checking into the fees and taxes of importing firearms to the US, I appreciate even more my Remington 341P that went to the UK, and ended up back here, because I didn't get the bill for that. I don't know who did, but they lost money on that rifle!
I sure hope you find an alternative to scrapping that rifle, that truly would be a shame. They don't make them like that anymore, and they didn't make many when they did.
I'll really try to preserve it. Will see how it pans out.
All the best,
C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.