The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My late brother had a 16ga. pump shot gun. His son, my nephew has it now. The markings on it is, Stevens Browning, model 620, the numbers on it is 087103. From what I ,under stand, Firearms made after 1968, must have a serial no. So, this must be the mfg. no. What we were wondering was, is there any way to find out when this was made, by useing this no. If we can, how do you go about finding out how to do this. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Stevens records are long gone, and 087103 is the serial number. The first number could be the letter O, I would have to see a pic of it. There are feature changes that can narrow it down to a 5-10yr span though.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
I'm confused....a common state of affairs....what is a "Stevens/Browning?"

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Stevens Pump shotguns, Models 520 and updated 620, were Browning designed take down shotguns. First one I had apart before I knew that, I had to research who the designer was, because I knew it couldn't be Stevens, and it had JMB all over it.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
one3, can you post a pic of the barrel address, Tang, trigger/safety, and forearm? I can give you short range of years of when it was made.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one3, can you post a pic of the barrel address, Tang, trigger/safety, and forearm? I can give you short range of years of when it was made.
The gun is at my nephews house, to post pics may take awhile. I know what the forearm looks like, kind of hard to explain. It did not look like the corn cob style.

·
Premium Member
9,879 Posts
I pulled one up and the bolt looks like a Model 12 but that’s about it. The receiver, takedown section and for-section look nothing like a one.
90EC3259-5FEA-434D-AE58-94C42FEA12CE.jpeg

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
trap55, the fore arm had a dimond checkering pattering to it.
They were made from 1927 into the 1950's, 1954 I think. They were checkered until the 50's, then they went to the grooved forearm. Before 1930, the safety was inside the trigger guard like that 520 humpback Firpo posted. After that, they had the crossbolt safety. J Stevens Arms on the barrel until 1947 when Savage put their name on instead.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Was the Stevens/Browning a take off of the model 12 Winchester?
No, but you can see JMB's finger prints all over both. The 520 A-5 look, and the 620 Model 12 look. No mystery why they got rid of the hump, they wanted to compete with the Model 12.
The Model 12 uses a interrupted thread for take down. The Stevens uses for lack of a better term, a mortised receiver block.
The bane to any take down, is the wear it causes from doing it. The Stevens is less prone to that, but it makes for a heavier gun. It's quick and simple to break down. Open the action, un-thread the mag tube, and the whole front half slides down and out.
Edit to add an after thought: Had a brain cell that tried to fire, and I think it has "Browning" on the barrel because of something with the production rights.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
If it has a receiver tang with the stock attached with a screw through the tang it was made between 1927 and 1940. If the stock is attached by a bolt from under the butt plate it was made from 1940-1955. Best I can do.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
If it has the crossbolt safety, 1930 when that started, to 1946 being the last year before Savage put their name on it, is the best I can do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts