The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I inherited 4 old rifles from my late father. All 4 of them are brand new still in their original box and packing. I am very curious of their value and what (if anything) I should do to preserve them. In this post I am looking for advise on the Stevens, Model 322 from the group.

Many thanks,
John
Stevens.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,048 Posts
The box looks great from what i can see of it. Can't help with the rifle because you didn't provide any pics!

·
Premium Member
19,048 Posts
I was not sure if it was wise to open the box, as it is still factory sealed. That is one of the pieces of advice I was looking for.
To a lesser degree i've seen this delima with Baseball cards. Are packs of Cards worth more unopened or after opening them and see what is actually in there.

·
Super Moderator
41,639 Posts
I can tell you what the 2018 Standard Catalog of Firearms says about a Stevens Model 322 if that is what is truly in the box.

It does not have a listing for NIB but for one in Excellent condition the book shows it as $175. If it has an aperture rear sight add $50 since then it would be a Model 322-S.

·
GUNZILLA
7,217 Posts
These rifles were produced between 1947 and 1950, that is a lot of time to be in a box and not know if any moisture got through the box and eventually dried out, if it did there is a good chance there could be rust depending on the way they were packed, personally I would open it to see if what is still inside worth saving and keeping or selling. These rifles according to my 27th ed of Standard Catalog of Firearms dated 2017 don't show much appreciation in value, maybe a couple hundred dollars even a NIB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can tell you what the 2018 Standard Catalog of Firearms says about a Stevens Model 322 if that is what is truly in the box.

It does not have a listing for NIB but for one in Excellent condition the book shows it as $175. If it has an aperture rear sight add $50 since then it would be a Model 322-S.
Thanks!

These rifles were produced between 1947 and 1950, that is a lot of time to be in a box and not know if any moisture got through the box and eventually dried out, if it did there is a good chance there could be rust depending on the way they were packed, personally I would open it to see if what is still inside worth saving and keeping or selling. These rifles according to my 27th ed of Standard Catalog of Firearms dated 2017 don't show much appreciation in value, maybe a couple hundred dollars even a NIB.
Thanks. That is what I was worried about. I was told by someone that they came packed in grease so they should be in good condition but as I have been reluctant to open the box I don't know for sure. But I would hate to think they are rusting away. Even if they are only worth a couple hundred bucks. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Take a video with something verifying the date (like a newspaper) of you opening the boxes. If the guns are actually in mint condition, the video may increase the prices.
And, show us the videos!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts