The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a Stevens 44 project rifle that is chambered for 25-20 SS. At first I was excited because I thought it was 25-20 WCF. Then I saw the brass that comes with the rifle. It was too long for 25-20 WCF. After I reread the Ad I realized my mistake. This rifle comes with 25 pieces of 25-20 SS brass.

Supposedly the 25-20 SS was too long to be used in the Winchester 1892, so they designed the 25-20 WCF.

I found a good article in Handloader magazine with some reloading data and sources of brass

I wonder if I need another project right now?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
What kind of shape is this project rifle in? Only cosmetically challenged, or is it needing the full monte? A Stevens 44 is a cool looking rifle but the 441/2 is the stronger action. The reason I asked is that I know a guy who could rebore a .25-20 SS to .32-20 providing the current chamber is smaller in diameter than the .32- 20 WCF chamber if the bore is toast. :) This guy I know is backed up for about 6 to 9 months though but I hear he can sometimes slide things forward for a friend. :)

·
Administrator
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
Supposedly the bore is "strong and bright". It needs wood replaced. Needs hammer spring and sights. The metal is good. I've found the parts to fix it for much less than it is worth.

I'm going to put a low bid in. I'll win it or not.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I was looking at a Stevens 44 project rifle that is chambered for 25-20 SS. At first I was excited because I thought it was 25-20 WCF. Then I saw the brass that comes with the rifle. It was too long for 25-20 WCF. After I reread the Ad I realized my mistake. This rifle comes with 25 pieces of 25-20 SS brass.

Supposedly the 25-20 SS was too long to be used in the Winchester 1892, so they designed the 25-20 WCF.

I found a good article in Handloader magazine with some reloading data and sources of brass

I wonder if I need another project right now?
yes! yes you do.

rick

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I think replacement stocks are out there and after you get that rolling block finished up you'll have developed the skills needed to restock a Stevens 44 and you'll be wanting another project to feed that antique single shot re-building addiction.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
And that's the good brass that actually fits and doesn't split....and there is no parent case or other cartridge brass to form it from. There is a guy that made some from .223 brass, but it takes a monster press to swage them.

·
Administrator
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that's the good brass that actually fits and doesn't split....and there is no parent case or other cartridge brass to form it from. There is a guy that made some from .223 brass, but it takes a monster press to swage them.
Hayley's Custom Ammunition. Around $1 per round.

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
$4.50 per piece brass!
When i was looking for a 1885 a few years ago i had a choice between a .25-20 single shot or .32-20. after seeing how rare brass was for the .25-20 ss and how much brass cost it was a no brainer i got the .32-20! It's hard enough finding brass in .25-20 WCF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts