Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Stevens/Springfield model 15/120?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by lovesguns, Feb 19, 2013.

1. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

I have a .22 single shot bolt action I believe is a Stevens/Springfield model 15/120. I believed this until I went to order some parts for the rifle and there were a few that don't belong on the rifle. A lot of the parts look the same so it has to be close. The guy I bought it off of neglected the rifle and rigged up a couple things. The rifle has no serial numbers so I believe it's pre 1968. The only thing It has on it is this:

SPRINGFIELD ARMS COMPANY 22 SHORT-LONG
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A. OR LONG RIFLE

It also has a circled fourteen on the left side of the barrel towards the rear and an O on the bottom of the barrel.

I appreciate any information. Thanks.

2. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Well-Known Member

Pics would help.

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Stevens/Savage 15A, My first true love, 1956. The 15A was sold from the 1930's until modern times. It has gone through a number of small changes in the stock and action, most changes were minor in nature. If you are ordering from Numrich GPC, sent them a clear pictures of what you have and what you need. Always worked for me

4. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

@RJAy thanks that is a good idea. Is there any way to really tell what year it is? I love this rifle. She is a little rough but shoots so nice. @Fatstrat I will post a pic.

5. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

What is with the circled 14 on the barrel?

6. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

Here are the photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

8. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Well-Known Member

OK, NOT a model 15. IMO an early 1st issue Savage model 3 (there were several later modified versions). Which would be pre 68 my about 30+ years. Will be extremely hard to find bolt parts for. It took me 2 years to find a Main spring for my Model 6 (Marked Springfield just as yours). Eventually found a complete bolt which I used to replicate a spring. And have since sold the extra bolt. What parts do you need?
    The 14 in a circle on the barrel is an inspectors stamp. Mine has it, as well as every 1st series M-3 I've seen

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Rifles-40502/3-39737.htm

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is a model 15 either, the circle 14 is just one of the various marks placed on the firearm during assembly, perhaps a proofing number, or a inspectors number, or just a number to worry future owners 50 years down the road.

10. lovesguns

lovesguns New Member

I really appreciate it guys. You guys really know your firearms. Yeah the circled 14 had confused me.lol. I am really happy to know what the rifle actually is. Now the hard part of finding parts. Thank you guys for your time and knowledge. I get something else i can't figure out I'll be coming to you. Thanks again.

11. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Well-Known Member

I have one with identical markings but without the fingergroove in the stock. I read somewhere that the 14 in a circle meant it was a Springfield Model 14, but I suspect that is wrong. When I'm home, I'll upload some pics.