The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new here and hope you can help. I acquired a carbine that appeared to fit the mold for a M95/30 conversion. The only things missing are any markings such as S or H on barrel and i bought some 8x56 anno and it wont go all the way into the chamber, it is 8x56RS Mannlicher is tht the right stuff? Is it possible the barrel was never converted, Is there some sort of obstruction, i cant see any. barrel is 19.75" length as i see it is 39.5" space between bands 5" front and side swivels and bayonet lug and bigger rear sight. I will have the supplies tuesday to do a casting. would love to shoot it so not hoping for the 8x50. Thank you been working on this problem for more than a month

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Jay, we're going to need some pictures of top, bottom and both sides of the full rifle and all the markings and probably you'll need to dismantle the rifle and get pictures of the proofs that should be on the bottom of the barrel in front of the receiver ring.

Best way to determine exactly what cartridge the rifle is chambered for is to either do a chamber cast or have a gunsmith make one. Then compare measurements of the cast to dimensions of cartridges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the 8x56RS Mannlicher the correct ammo for the 95/30? or do I have it wrong?

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Jay, I don't know. I have a 1908, 8 X 56 Mannlicher/Schoenauer but it is not rimmed and, it's in a sporting rifle rather than a mil-surp. Do you have a "Cartridges of the World" book? If so, check there. I'll check mine and see what, if anything, I can learn. Mil-surps, foreign or domestic, are not my strong suit. There's several guys on board who are knowledgeable of them and I'm a little surprised none have chimed in but, it is New Years day so who knows what everyone is doing.

Good pictures, btw. I'm surprised there's no more stamps than there is. Usually rifles from that era are covered with them but again, mil-surps are quite a ways out of my wheelhouse.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much
. I wonder if the ammo I picked is wrong and more than one 8x56? I see no evidence of that but would be a quick fix. Tuesday I should know more about that.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Ok, I probably didn't learn anymore than you already know. What I found said most were re-chambered to the 56mmR case but, evidently not all of them.

Color the shoulder, neck and a little of the case below the neck/shoulder junction of a cartridge with a magic marker/Sharpie and try to chamber it again. By the marks on the colored part you should be able to tell if the cartridge is hitting the shoulder of the chamber. If that seems to be true then evidently you have one that wasn't re-chambered. A chamber cast with Cerrosafe, sulfur, or a crayon would tell you definitively. I fool with a lot of old German, Austrian and British sporting rifles and don't try to do anything with any of them until I take a chamber cast....I've been surprised a few times in that they differed significantly from what they were sold as. In you rifles case, I'd about expect it to be the 50mm case....but I don't know that. Hope this is of a little help and, if/when you figure it out please post what you find, I'm curious now.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes shoulder of chamber with corresponding Mark's on the cartridge. Beautiful gun too bad. Still gonna do a casting but at least I have an idea. I'll bring the carcano instead. Thanks a lot for your suggestion

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
All I can offer is - the M95 I had shot 8X56R.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
So you think it's the 50mmR Austrian cartridge? I looked at it as well and the ballistics are by no means inadequate. I didn't check dimensions but I wonder if the 8 X 50R can be formed from the 8 X 56R?

Ah....Donnely's book is always on my desk and he says it can be made from the 7.62 X 54R Russian but it will require some lathe work or, cautious spinning in a drill press. I think it would be a fun little project, if it is the 8 X 50R and, it's certain you'd be the only one on the block to have one.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome to TFF .Can't give much more then you know or have already been told ,but are there import marks on it ? The casting your doing is the best way cause slugging the barrel won't give you much info but barrel size . Mine has the spitzer mark and like most is a thumper to shoot but fun !! Not a bad looking carbine you got . Hopefully after you find the correct ammo you can sell back the wrong stuff . Hey one thought and I am sure you have checked it but once I had a Mosin 91/30 and it was hard to chamber rounds . What it turned out to be was there was some very old hard cosmoline am thinking in bottom of a bolt lug recess . Was not very big and it took a long time working to get it out but after it was the rifle chambered fine .

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic but has anyone ever heard of a M95 being rechambered to something more common ? I haven't but that don't mean it hasn't been done !! There a nice little gun . Mine doesn't have a lot of markings either . Mainly some rack or other type numbers on the wood . And turned out to be pretty darn accurate . Did you get some of the German surplus ammo with the clips or buy PPU . And that reminds me and again you may know this already but DON'T LOAD SINGLE ROUNDS WITHOUT THE CLIP . You can break your extractor that way and those are hard to come by . Have heard of one person who made some few years back . Just FYI hate to see something happen that I could of helped stopped but didn't say anything . Be glad when you get it up and going so we can get a range report .

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic but has anyone ever heard of a M95 being rechambered to something more common ? I haven't but that don't mean it hasn't been done !! There a nice little gun . Mine doesn't have a lot of markings either . Mainly some rack or other type numbers on the wood . And turned out to be pretty darn accurate . Did you get some of the German surplus ammo with the clips or buy PPU . And that reminds me and again you may know this already but DON'T LOAD SINGLE ROUNDS WITHOUT THE CLIP . You can break your extractor that way and those are hard to come by . Have heard of one person who made some few years back . Just FYI hate to see something happen that I could of helped stopped but didn't say anything . Be glad when you get it up and going so we can get a range report .
sooner, decades ago I saw one re-barreled to 25/35Win, and a full length stock, Fajen maybe? Nice rifle and the rework nicely done. I was tempted, but had to convince myself I had no real use for it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That straight pull bolt design is to me just neat . I got 4 of them . A K31 Swiss , 2 Ross 1905s and the M95 . Even though the K31 is considered the better rifle by most , it is the smoothest for sure with my eyes I shoot the M95 by far better then the rest .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a casting done of my carbine yesterday and it turns out it is a 8x50. It seems after the ww1 when the Austrians gave Italy a bunch of 95s as part of reparations the Italians converted them to carbines. The did not change the fact that they were 8x50. The only ones. They also left nothing like an s or h. There is a wiki page on Italian 95s and also this link. Finally
Italian Mannlicher M95 Rifle and Carbine

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Now that you got 8x56 ammo and no rifle for it you need to get a M95 to shoot it that way you got both types . The good thing is your wife shouldn't notice they are 2 different rifles if you keep them apart !!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts