The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR highlighted in bold.

I'm an avid WW2 reenactor. I primarily do German as an impression and the unit I portray would make use of the STG 44 pretty regularly at that point in the war. Using an STG 44 in WW2 reenacting is difficult because you're stuck with three options : a .22 caliber version by GSG, a non-firing replica (we use blank-firing guns in reenacting) or the real deal from 1944 which is the cost of a new car and more paperwork than immigrating to the U.S.

The issue with the .22 LR model is that the noise cannot be discerned if you operate it with blank rounds, nor does it properly eject casings when used with blanks, even with blank adapters. GSG does make a 9mm blank-firing only model, but they only export this model to other countries in the EU. My question is: would it be possible to convert their .22 LR version of the STG 44 to operate with 9mm blanks? Does anyone know any good gunsmiths that would be willing to attempt this? Alternatively, does anyone know if it's possible to import a blank-firing only weapon to the United States from GSG in the EU? I know American Tactical Imports is who imported their other guns, but they didn't respond to me about their 9mm STG 44.

Any input is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That IS an interesting question...if you reamed out the chamber of the 22lr for 9mm Blank, it could never load or fire live ammo. It will always be considered a firearm by BATFE, though, I believe. Of course the bolt/bolt face/ejector/extractor, ejection port/whole 9 yards would have to be modified. It would be expensive, maybe as much as buying the real thing, making a one-of blank firing rifle, but it might be worth it to you. I don't know anything about a 9mm Luger chambered STG44 right now...only 9mm GSG gun I know of is the MP 40 pistol clone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea their 9mm is made in Germany and is only exported to other countries in the EU. It's a blank-fire only firearm. Look up the STG 44 9mm PAK
Thank you for that other input though, maybe it's unwise to do that. Would it really cost upwards of $15,000 to do all that work?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
For a one of? I have literally no idea, have never done anything major like that. I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV. :) Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think it would still be considered a fireable gun if the barrel was permanently blocked. I'd use a pin through it rather than filling it with concrete so it can still vent and make noise. Blank guns often have barrels that narrow so you can't fit in a bullet tipped round. I wonder if adding a machined part in the barrel could amplify the sound, like a trumpet bell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts