Sticker shock!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Sep 13, 2017.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Decided to reload some 38 Specials for a revolver I am giving to my grandson. Upon checking the reloading components I have on hand, I found that I was seriously short of Winchester Small Pistol Primers. No problem...I recently found a smaller gun store with a small collection of reloading components. He hand CCI primers but holly smoke the prices! $54 per 1000 (with CA Sales tax). I needed them so I bought them but I immediately went to the internet for more at a better price. The Hazardous Materials Fee (about $20 a package) kills small orders so I got both Winchester SPP and LRP for a total of 5000 primers. Brownells sells some primers, they discount me because I do gunsmithing, and they current have free shipping. Total cost to me: $35 per 1000. That's no deal when I consider I use to buy those same primers at gun shows for $18 per 1000 (admittedly before Obama's presidency and the run on anything gun related .....The good old days!).

Seems this small gun shop adds the Hazardous Materials Fee to each box of 1000 when they set them out for sale, although I doubt they would admit to that. I will have to reconsider doing business with them in the future. The internet is my friend!

LDBennett

2. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

The Hazarad Fee keeps me from ordering things online too. I thought I could circumvent by finding some other reloader that need supplies and making one bulk order but every time I need AA#9, no one I know is in need of any powder or primers and I am pretty well stocked on everything else by buying when it is on sale.

CWO, mikld, joe45c and 2 others like this.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Seems your lgs hasn't noticed that the tight supply and demand issue has relaxed. I think I would find somewhere else to shop.

SteveM, rawright54, jonb32248 and 4 others like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

And I complained for paying $32 a thousand in the middle of the 8 year reign of yomama!

5. LDBennett

As I live in a semi-rural area outside of the Los Angeles basin, my choices of gun stores is really limited. There are a few smaller stores who basically order everything for you, one or two mid sizes stores that have a few guns and some reloading stuff, and one larger chain with huge prices and rude clerks. I use to order everything on-line for reloading but I lost my professional source of components and have had to resort to local sources or Internet purchases of commercial sources. The Hazardous Material Fees and high shipping costs kill any price advantage most Internet sales may have had.

Several years ago when components were readily available, through my professional source, I bought lots of everything. I was fine during the Obama shortages but now I occasionally need an item or two and am stuck buying at the exorbitant pricing locally and/or the fee ladened internet sales, which includes high shipping costs, for primers and powder.

It is hell getting old and remembering what prices use to be. Like Colt SSA's at $125 and Ruger Blackhawks at $90 and Ruger 10/22 for close to $70. How about $12 for a box of premium 223 bullets. Or even 10mm ammo for 25 cents a round.

Such is life!

LDBennett

Ksman75, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  6. Reloader952

Reloader952 Active Member

One thing I've done is to ask several of my friends around to go together and make an order up for Primers or Powder and share the hazardous shipping cost. Certain companies here in the central part of the states will ship the primers or powders for one hazardous shipping cost instead of an individual one for each component. My local gun club is a good place to find like minded individuals.

I also wait and stock up on materials when larger companies like Midway, Brownell's, Cheaper than Dirt, etc. have their free hazardous shipping cost sales. Admittedly it's not that often but I'm ready when it does occur. Always thinking ahead.

BlackEagle and ms6852 like this.
  7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Had a friend die some years ago that left me reloading gear and component's and a few very nice rifles. I have on hand probably in the are of 25,000 primer's, LR and SP combined and several thousand shotgun primers. But at a gun show earlier this year I found new Win LR primer's for $20 a 1000, so I bought a thousand. Had at that time no idea what they sold for in the store so only got one brick! Found out a few days later what they were going for and realized I really should have bought more. Of course I don't know why because I already have more than I'll ever use!

BlackEagle and ms6852 like this.
  8. LDBennett

The last gun show I attended was during the shortages. I obviously didn't buy any primers then. So as such I have no idea what they get for primers today in the place that always had great primer deals in the past.

I think I have seen primers regularly at $35 per 1000 on the Internet and that is the regular price (before my discount) at Brownells. I have not needed any for several years so the $54 (total with tax) was a super surprise.

The whole story is the brick of 1000 was marked $4.95. The clerk was unaware that that price was per box of 100 and offered the brick at $4.95. Being basically honest I pointed out to him that was not the correct price. He checked and found it was a per 100 cost. I asked if I bought the whole brick if there was a discount. He gave me about 10% off for a total of $54. Such a deal! It sometimes does not pay to be honest!

I believe that manufacturers of ammo and reloading components jacked their prices up during the shortages and have failed to return to the old prices. The same is true of everything gun related. It is hard to believe the in the last 8 or so years inflation caused today's pricing of gun related products.

LDBennett

PRR1957, gvw3 and joe45c like this.
  9. Reloader952

Reloader952 Active Member

Warning!! I am not sure if this is allowed or not and certainly am not trying to step on anyone's toes. So if it's not kosher then by all means delete this post and give me a slap on the wrist.

A quick check of several of my internet sources for primers has revealed that the following source:
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

has their primers cost point set lower than many others. As in the $4.00 lower range. I do not gain anything from this. Merely wishing to share so others can make their own decision.

joe45c likes this.
  10. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Not here and now, but it might help you sleep better.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with posting a link as long as it is not that Gun auction site! People post links all the time.

rawright54 and BlackEagle like this.
  12. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

It has been my experience that the local gun stores have finally wised up and begin to price their inventory in such a manner that once you include shipping and hazardous fees there marked up prices actually equals what you would order online even though the same item is cheaper.

13. LDBennett

Yes Powder Valley is cheaper. But until you start the order process you have no idea what the shipping and the Hazardous Material Fee charge will be. The HMF is normally $19 and shipping can be very expensive. The Brownells price I paid included FREE shipping and I get a discount. I did not go through the PV costs but I'd bet they are close to what I paid.

Now, it use to be the gun show sellers would buy truckloads and were able to sell much cheaper but I have not been to a gun show in years so I do not know if that is still happening today (in my area).

LDBennett

BlackEagle likes this.
  14. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

The $34. price is about average. I paid that at Academy last time. Honesty is always best. I never order online due to the haz mat costs. I don't see the savings.

15. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

I like to support local, small businesses, but $54.00 per 1,000 and they would have stayed at the store...

I have purchased primers online, but I waited until I could put together an order so that the hazmat rip-off didn't hurt so bad.