Sticker shock!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Sep 13, 2017.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My cost on-line (with my discount and including the Hazardous Material Fee) for 5000 Small Pistol primers was $35 per 1000. Shipping was free. If I had ordered more the limit would have been closer to $30 per 1000. The local dealer is ripping off me and others. I looked at some of his guns and he beats the chain store so I don't understand why he insists on doing this to reloaders?

I suppose it is like computer printers...They sell the printer at close to cost and get you on the ink.

LDBennett

2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

28.00 for 1000 primers. Hazard Fee is 28.50 for 1 box or 10 boxes of primers. Didn't get to shipping.

accident likes this.

3. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Oh yea. I had a cashier in a I think it was a K Mart in Wasilla Alaska years ago teach me ablut minding my own business when she was checking me out. Primer's were on sale for what eever they were back then, about 1980. She rang up a brick as one box. I told her that was wrong that I had 10 box's there. She came right back and told me she knew just what a box looked like and that was a box. No reason to upset the local natives so I shut my mouth and let it go. Brick of 22's for the price of one box! :) No I don't feel bad about it, I tried to correct her and she wasn't having it!

4. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

George, could you pm me the name of that blasted site? I've heard reference enough to it, I'd like to be sure I can avoid it?

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just for reference, primers over here go between $63 and $69/1000 from one online source. Then add $6 for shipping and I'm guessing $33 hazmat fees. That wipes out any savings I would get over buying from my LGS.

6. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Try slickguns.com.I paid 100 for 5k S&B SR+20$hazmat,free shpg.it's a algorithm search engine for lowest prices on net.That deal was from Cabelas,if you can believe it.With hzmat,buying less than 5-10k on interweb isn't economical.

7. Avirginian

Avirginian Active Member

If I see more than $30 on CCI primers, I walk. We do have some good prices at gun shows here in the mid-Atlantic.
    I was buying some on sale things at the new Cabalas but now that Bass Pro is buying them, I am not so sure. I checked some prices at Bass Pro and found their powder prices outrageous. A local shop has started carrying some things again but they are over priced. I like them and have bought a couple guns from them but $35 for a pound of Power Pistol is too much and $40 for 1k of primers is too high.

vizslas 1 likes this.
  8. LDBennett

The bargain primer dealer must buy them by the truck load to avoid the Hazardous Material Fee. I am told that is a UPS charge. If they use an independent trucking firm and fill the truck they may be able to get the pricing way down. No small gun dealer can afford that. In a large city maybe several gun dealers can pool their needs and do that but where I live there are not enough dealers anywhere close (maybe half a dozen very small dealers to service nearly 500,000 people but over a 100 sq. mile area with no other cities for a 50 mile radius (the "sticks" comes to mind).

LDBennett

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

I've been buying from BP up until recently when I needed IMR4064. I thought BP was the only one here that had it, according to my memory. I then found out that day that Academy had it for $9.00 less! Guess where I shop next time. I did find CFEpistol at Academy not in BP.

10. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Ten of so years ago I bought three bricks of Winchester SRP for $12.50 apiece. Last time I looked at the big box GS their going for $35-$40.

As of late I have been purchasing primers, powder and bullets from armlist.com from locale individuals who want to clear out their loading bench. Been finding some really good deals with that. I.E. 1000 Fed 210 Match & 1000 CCI BR-4/$20.00 apiece, unopened 8 lbs A2230 /$75.00, unopened 1 lb H322 /$12.00, 600 Rem 6 1/2/$10.00, ect. Check that website out. There is a lot of good deals out there, and some of these guys will go down on their prices if you buy more than one item from them. As a point of caution is to ask how the primmers were stored. I been only buying those that stored in real G.I. ammo cans.

BlackEagle likes this.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Same here.

I tell ya.. I used to love seeing wolf or S&B primers during those dark years due to the price. I recall paying 20$ a brick for the wolf, and they went bang just fine. I do admit to having a preference for winchester primers though..

12. LDBennett

A test in a magazine a couple years ago showed the Winchester primers in every type more energetic that other makes. But I used them because my sources always had the best prices on Winchester primers. I bought a bunch mid-Obama era when the prices and availability returned after his first term. With this new purchase (received from Brownells yesterday) I have 18,000 primers of various types. I need that many to cover the 30+ different cartridges I reload for. I am set again.

LDBennett

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I really hate to say this but when powder and primer's get hard to find, those price's won't be bad at all. Right now I have no need of primer's, have about a lifetime supply of rifle and handgun primer's. But starting to buy powder in the 5# and 8# kegs. A pound of powder doesn't go that far even for me, I'm not a high volume reloader. I'd go wander through a Bass Pro Shop, don't have to buy anything but never know when you'll spot a sale. About the only store I don't go into is Dick's. Did it one time when one came to Bean and it just turned me off. I'd about bet their gun counter guy's can't even spell gun!

14. LDBennett

Oh, you found someone at the gun counter at your Dicks? Lucky you. My Dicks only has rifles, ones you can get anywhere, bottom feeder rifles. I never see any customers at the counter or even in the aisles of that section of the store. They have no reloading stuff. KMART has more gun related sporting goods than my Dicks. But if you want sports clothing they have gobs of that. My Dicks is a yuppie store. Most yuppies are not into guns!

LDBennett

BlackEagle likes this.
  15. jonb32248

jonb32248 Active Member

I really love Bass pro here in Springfield. It's the headquarters and they are opening the conservation and aquarium tomorrow Only thing is it way to expensive to get in. Something like $30. per. for the aquarium and $14. for the conservation center. Maybe once but not a place to hand like the store area. They did a great job on my rifle when the head space needed to be fixed.$65. I'm happy!