The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my new powder measure with break Kleen to get any oil off of the metal parts and rinsed the plastic tube out with water.
I still get the powder sticking to the sides of the metal pieces and a little bit on the inside of the tube.
What is the trick to not make the powder stick to the internal parts?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
If you are sure it's clean, wipe the inside of the tube with a dryer sheet. Then run a whole pound of powder through the measure at least once.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
ditto that.

static will make grains stick just as much as 'oil' will.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, static is probably the culprit if you cleaned up the measure good before using it.

As mentioned above, a dryer sheet works good to give a nice little anti-static coating to all the parts, in particular the plastic hopper.

By cycling a bunch of powder through the measure, you're coating the internals with a little film of graphite powder that falls off of the powder as you'r cycling it through the measure.
I like to speed up this process by adding some powdered graphite to the powder that I'm using. I actually have a little bit of unknown shotgun/pistol powder that came from a garage sale purchase that I use just for pre-treating my measures. That way I'm not adding a bunch of extra graphite to the powder that I'm loading with.
Besides being slippery, the graphite is a conductor so it will help dissipate any static that builds up during use.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
good info, have not ever had issues with powder sticking myself but good tricks. I've got a can of spilled/unidentifiable powder that I could use for a 'dry run' of powder... hmm.,...

I do use a plastic funnel to load my presses up, wonder if that increases/decreases static? or doesn't matter?

·
Registered
603 Posts
It can also be a good idea to run a ground wire to your measure or loader that's equipped with a measure. That, along with a strip of dryer sheet suspended in the middle of the measure, usually cures the problem. I've been cutting a 1" strip and suspending it in my powder measure which works quite well. You do have to change it out every six months or so.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I also stick 2 or 3 used dryer sheets in my measure when not using it for a while. This seems to help with static the next time I do use it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I do use a plastic funnel to load my presses up, wonder if that increases/decreases static? or doesn't matter?
A plastic funnel can get static buildup just like a plastic powder hopper does.
I do the same graphite treatment with my plastic funnel too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I cleaned my new powder measure with break Kleen to get any oil off of the metal parts and rinsed the plastic tube out with water.
If your internals were painted surfaces on the PM using brake kleen may have reacted with the paint and broke down the finish. If the surfaces are sticky to the touch a ton of powder or graphite will not change the sticking- the paint is ruined and needs to be stripped off. I speak from experience here, after cleaning my PM with a harsh brake cleaning product the paint was done for. Stripping and polishing the inside of a measure turned out to be the only solution, it actually was a great improvement in the end.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I still get the powder sticking to the sides of the metal pieces and a little bit on the inside of the tube.
What is the trick to not make the powder stick to the internal parts?
Here's a video that I made. It shows how to clean, and then prime your powder meassure. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
how much graphite to a pound of powder???
I don't run a whol pund of powder through when I prep my measures after cleaning them.

I usually fill the hopper about 1/4-1/3 full with my "junk" powder and then give two good squirts out of one of those little puffer tubes (for lubing zippers, locks, etc). I'd guess that is probably 1/16 of a teaspoon of extra graphite if even that.
I put that powder into the hopper and give it a good swirl around so the graphite gets deposited on the entire inside surface of the hopper. (I don't have it attached in my stand when I do this. :))
After I've got the hopper is coated and no grains stick to the side of the hopper when I swirl it around, then I cycle the powder through the measuring chamber and out the dispenser spout.

Once you're done, you should notice a slight grey film all over on the inside of the measure. It doesn't take much graphite to coat the parts so they get slippery.

312 caught something that I missed earlier too.
I would check the paint on the inside of your measure. It is possible that the BrakeKleen did attack the paint. If that is the case, then I would try throwing some extra graphite in there to see if it'll slick up. If not, then I bet stripping the rest of the paint off the interior would be your best bet...or smoothing it out and repainting the interior. Personally, I'd just leave it bare metal and graphite it though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My powdwer measure was purchased used. Looks like it has alot of powder throught it. I
'm not having problems . Should I worry about this??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts