Stock cleaning day

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/26/01 8:45:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Stock cleaning day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spent the afternoon in the workshop doing some wood refurbishing. Lined up my 6 Destroyer carbines, and a Jungman 42B. Wiped them down with a degreaser solution while my steam iron heated up. Then placed a cloth over the various dent and ding areas, and gently ironed/steamed out what I could - tends to work pretty well as long as the wood grain isn't broken or the gauge too deep. Then mixed up a cup of boiled linseed oil and laquer thinner, and spent a couple leisurely hours of rubbing my wood. Some of those Destroyer carbines had some really pretty grained wood in them. The two I got from AIM Surplus recently were exceptionally nice - one of them has a tiger cross-grain that just shimmers in the light now that it has been cleaned and rubbed down.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Kdubya
    (5/26/01 9:17:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Stock cleaning day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did your fingers stick to the keyboard after all this hand rubbing?
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Bob In St Louis
    (5/27/01 7:33:09 am)
    It does take a good scrubbin' with Lava soap to get that stuff off. And I ain't gonna tell ya what I stirred it with ----
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

TallTLynn
    (5/27/01 9:29:20 am)
    I sincerely hoped you cleaned the stir stick Bob.