The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to make my 1 st stock last summer we had to cut down this tree in are yard not a big deal we have a wood stove but after we burn all most all of it we found out it was a very rare maple called curly maple would have been a 4000 dollar tree............. I have one chunk left and that is what I am going to use going to make it for my old British 303 I will take pics as I go wish me luck

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
very cool. keep us updated with pics..

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Was the tree live when you guys cut it down?
If so, you will need to dry the wood before you think of doing any woodworking with it. You need to bring the moisture down to it's equilibrium point before you start working the piece or else it will just twist, crack, split, etc as soon as you start working it.
A walking stick or small carving piece doesn't take very long under most conditions...I leave chokecherry and other similar local brushwood branches cure for about a year before I even think of digging into them to make a staff. We've got a couple of 6"-9" walnut logs that have been air curing for nearly 6 years now. I've got a few special small projects in mind for them so I have just been biding my time with em.

Air drying a good gunstock blank sized piece of wood can take several years.
I don't do much with maple, but IIRC the moisture content you want is somewhere in the 8-10% range.

But...I agree that a nice chunk of curly maple does make a beautiful stock. Hope it turns out for ya!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get to eat my own words woke up this morning and it cracked and twisted some so I failed wood not dry damn it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.